Watermark on ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I moved into my house about 11 months ago, there was a yellowish patch on the ceiling around the chimney breast in the bedroom which clearly had a leak at somepoint, looks like this was repaired (as it was not wet) so I painted over it (white paint) about 9 months ago but the stain has come back again, any suggestions how I get rid of it for good??

Sponsored Links
When you say white paint I take it you mean emulsion, providing the cause of the water mark has been cured, to stop it's return first use either an alkali resisting primer or an oil based undercoat before you emulsion.

Dec

or if you want some thing that you can overcioat with emuslion in minutes then use a shellac based product such as Zinsser BIN

sorry yes I mean emulsion, thanks for the advice I'll try that, be nice not to see the stain anymore any ideas why its come back? thought a couple of coats would do the trick :confused:

Sponsored Links
It is the water content of the emulsion that will re-activate the staining and will in time show itself again.

Therefore it needs to be blocked by applying the correct product, then it's goodbye stain.

Dec.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back