Waterproof/Insulated/Fire-resistant ceiling construction?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right, I'm making a room for a boiler + Hot water cylinder etc to sit in in the loft.

Only thing left to consider is the ceiling construction for it.

It needs to be reasonably resistant incase something goes horribly wrong and something catches fire in there, as there is no "easy" access to the loft other than a loft ladder.

It also needs to be insulated as it drops to -20 C there in the winter and its a sheet metal roof with no insulation at all above it (Also gets 50 C+ inside in the summer with sun on roof)

It needs to be water or at least damp proof as condensation forms on the inside of the sheet metal roof and drips back down.

I could go for traditional fireresistant plasterboard to get a slightly longer time to "react" to the fact that its on fire, and go switch off the mains gas or whatever, but then it needs some sort of insulation behind it. Would XPS be safe enough behind plasterboard?
XPS would mean I don't need to worry about waterproofing it.

I could use mineral wool but if it gets damp it will be useless, so it would need to be capped by something else again.

Any suggestions for "cheap" but safe alternatives?

This is just a dedicated Ytong (AAC) "room" upstairs on a concrete floor.

The floor won't burn, the walls won't burn, I'd like the ceiling not to burn either if possible!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back