Waterproof materials

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a single storey extension to which I am adding a second storey.

To place the joists for the new first floor, I have to remove a few tiles along the ridge of the current roof which means removing rows of some tiles either side of the ridge.

I need to temporarily protect (over the summer) the existing extension from water getting in through the untiled area when it rains.

I thought of covering the new joists with some sheets of 8x4 chipboard ( which I can get at about £4.00 a sheet as they are seconds - used but in perfect condition , just dirty) and then waterproofing them.

My question is, what material can I apply to stop the chipboard to waterproof it - preferably sprayable, but brushable would do - so it would last during the summer.

(The other benefit of paneling out the joists would be the availability of a 'temporary working area' at first floor level).

Anyone got any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
do not use chipboard it turns to wheetabix when wet

go for 12mm exterior ply and sheet it over with a tarpaulen but not a cheap woven one that will biodegrade in the sun

pew - if the cheepo sheets of chipboard are only going to be used for a short period then consider them as support for a tarpaulin (as per big-all's post). Forget about applying a waterproof treatment to the chipboard. If you're worried about the tarps flapping in the wind, or blowing-off in a gale, then fix (screw) some battens over the tarp - tile batts are very cheap (slope the batts down the roof fall so that the water will run off).

if the cheepo sheets of chipboard are only going to be used for a short period then consider them as support for a tarpaulin (as per big-all's post)

They will only be temporary (that's why I want to keep the cost down).

The problem is the tarpaulin - the area to be covered is 6.7m x 5.2m, and I haven't come across a suitable tarp that will fit in one piece - and they are so expensive.

I guess I could use some polythene DPC sheet (like the stuff used as DPC under a slab) if I can find some wide enough - it's usually only 4m wide.

Sponsored Links
pew - polyethylene mesh tarp 9 x 6m £35, heavy duty same size £68, camo same size £30, plus lots of others including heavy canvas jobbies from Northern Tools. Selco do a woven tarp 7 x 5.4 for £20ish.

Yes you could use other sizes of tarps or plakka sheet - just overlap and batten down

Thanks Symptoms

I looked at quite a few places and they were all a lot more expensive than Northerns.

That looks like the way to go.

Thanks again.

I have just come across these at a new Toolstation they opened near me.

I wonder if these will be good enough to last over the summer.

Anyone tried these?

they are the woven ones i was warning you about after about 6 months they start to biodegrade and leak or at least the ones i use do so if you plan to take longer than 5 months expect them to possibly leak

As peweuk wrote: "... I need to temporarily protect (over the summer) ..." then I think even the cheapo ones might last. Even if pew has to leave the cheapos up a bit longer he could always get another cheapo to cover any leaks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back