Waterproof tape for pipe fix

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

On Saturday I was fixing some squeaky floorboards in my spare room when disaster struck, I drilled down through a floorboard into a copper pipe :(no matter how many times I check I still managed to do it.

Anyway, I left the screw in , drained the system and patched the pipe up with a full roll of waterproof tape covering a good 2-3 inches either side of the hole. I have left the floorboard off and have been checking it regularly ever since and there hasn't been a drop. Can this be classed as a permanent fix? It's a 25mm pipe I think, one of the bigger pipes where flows/returns direct to the combi boiler.

Thank you in advance for your replies.

Sponsored Links
Can this be classed as a permanent fix?

For me, no I would not class it as a permanent fix, more of a temporary bodge especially as it's under floorboards. I would cut the pipe exactly at the point of entry, put a coupler in and solder it up, almost good as new.

I take it you haven't repressurised the system yet, it will be permanent until you do. :LOL: ;)

The system has been Repressurised since the fix and the heating working as before. I just don't fancy putting down new floorboards and new carpet and have to rip it all back up. Carpet goes down in about a weeks time.

I can get it replaced but the pipe is right next to the gas pipe going to the boiler, the pipes are almost touching - will this be a problem with the blowtorch?

Sponsored Links
As mogget said, get it fixed properly, the gas pipe shouldn't be a problem.

I can get it replaced but the pipe is right next to the gas pipe going to the boiler, the pipes are almost touching - will this be a problem with the blowtorch?

Others on here will be able to give you a more comprehensive answer, but provided there is no joint on the gas pipe here you should be OK. The gas pipe is full of gas (only) and you need both gas and oxygen to start a fire. I would turn the gas off at the meter as a precaution, and try to heat the gas pipe as little as possible. You could even wrap it in a wet flannel. I will now prepare to be shot down in flames as I am just a DIYer.

The only problem the gas pipe will create is if it's too close and in the way of access. Providing it hasn't got any leaks of course, if it has there'll be two flames for soldering with instead of one. :LOL:

The only problem the gas pipe will create is if it's too close and in the way of access. Providing it hasn't got any leaks of course, if it has there'll be two flames for soldering with instead of one. :LOL:

Here is a picture to help explain things. You can see the two fatter flow/return pipes (maybe they are 22mm?) and the gas is the furthest one away. I think that section of pipe could be replaced from the joint on the right and then back round at the bend just under the floorboard out of picture.

http://i1340.photobucket.com/albums...4ca5e5abbae4f595376160be8d0f9_zps071e6fd3.jpg

The tape if providing a pretty good seal at present :D

Unfortunately I couldn't get the picture, not sure if others are having the same problem.

Unfortunately I couldn't get the picture, not sure if others are having the same problem.

Aha, got the pic the second time.

It looks like you could lift that pipe far enough to get a pipeslice on. All you should need to do it to cut the pipe exactly at the drill hole and put a coupler on. You shouldn't need any extra pipe. Beware in case it's 3/4in rather than 22mm though.

To add to my previous post, a heat mat (or wet towel) would help greatly.

drilling a 32mm waste pipe through joists naughty naughty

that pipe looks like 28mm to me

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back