Just drilled into a water pipe into the boiler. What to do next!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's all ok, I've contained the leak I just need to know what to do next.

I was fixing a squeaky floorboard and drilled a 4mm hole into a rubber water pipe.

I turned the water off pretty quickly and sealed it with duct tape, but did notice some air was being drawn into the pipe in the process. most of the time the hole was covered with finger/thumb so was only letting air in for a short moment.

The pipe is an intake pipe for the boiler so I need to know what to do next, is this something for a pro? or not. will duct tape suffice. What about the water in the boiler?
The water pressure is quite low here (boiler is only 1.5bar maximum)

Boiler is off until I know what to do so would appreciate your thoughts.
Thanks

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-02-28 at 11.10.21 (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-02-28 at 11.10.21 (1).jpeg
    185.5 KB · Views: 327
  • WhatsApp Image 2021-02-28 at 11.10.21 (2).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-02-28 at 11.10.21 (2).jpeg
    206 KB · Views: 269
  • WhatsApp Image 2021-02-28 at 11.10.21 (3).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-02-28 at 11.10.21 (3).jpeg
    171 KB · Views: 309
  • WhatsApp Image 2021-02-28 at 11.10.21.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-02-28 at 11.10.21.jpeg
    166.4 KB · Views: 291
Sponsored Links
ok cool thanks.
Proper fix it is. will do that.. can get my usual plumber in in a few days (without the emergency price tag) i would hope the duct tape will suffice till then?

But until then what about the boiler? is it safe to try and use?

Sponsored Links
Your pressure gauge on the boiler is indicating the system pressure not the cold mains pressure that could be considerably higher.
Turn you water main off inbetween use and certainly at night to reduce the risk of a serious leak.

Your pressure gauge on the boiler is indicating the system pressure not the cold mains pressure that could be considerably higher.
Turn you water main off inbetween use and certainly at night to reduce the risk of a serious leak.
good advice thanks.
This water comes from the water tank 8foot above so its not a massive water pressure thankfully. but certainly, want to get this not to leak

are there any tapes that do work for holes like this?

No, it really needs fixed properly, it will all be hidden below the floor after all.

Are you sure it is fed from the loft cistern? That would only be between 0.1 and 0.2 bar at the boiler? What does the pressure gauge on the boiler show?

Just get someone else, if your plumber won't come out to you then you should be looking for a reliable plumber. I do emergency work for all my customers doesn't matter how busy I am. I will not leave a customer with a burst/leaking pipe for a few days.

Andy

Amalgamation tape can be used as a temporary repair. But temporary only, can take upto 2 bar pressure for a short period of time.

It will be better than using duct tape while you wait for the plumber

Surely that's mains pressure water that feeds the combi and tees off at floor level to feed the cistern in the roof..
Yep turns out you are right and the Pressure is actually quite strong (as shown by a squirt to the ceiling)

So I have arranged for a plumber to turn up tomorrow. Insurance job with zero excess.

FYI duct tape gave around 90 mins of protection. Yeah not an option really was it!

So we have the water/heating off till tomorrow but have found out that molegrips and big rubber band gives a seal (bodge-job) so if it gets cold tonight I can sit beside it for an hour and turn water/boiler on and keep an eye on it. Then turn it off.

Thanks all for your help and advice.

IMG_20210228_152926.jpg

I’m not a plumber so I may be talking out of my arris but I see a filling loop at the boiler. This must mean a sealed system. You say the system pressure is 1.5 bar so that seems okay to me. Why do you need to switch the heating off - that hole shouldn't affect the heating at all unless you needed to top it up, should it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back