Connecting waste water pipes bodge-job

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my garage there's a sink built into a cabinet. It's very handy, but sometimes I get a water leak in the pipes at the bottom of the cabinet. Basically, whoever put this together has just shoved two flexible plastic pipes into each other (the one from the plughole, which goes into the one that goes to the drains). This works fine most of the time, but occasionally they work loose, and then water goes everywhere.

Should I just tape them together with some duct tape, or a waterproof version of duct tape? If so, what sort of tape should I get?

Or is there a better DIY solution?

Or should I just call in a plumber?

(Can put up photos if that will help.)

Sponsored Links
maybe try solvent seal which will glue the pipes if they are snug.

or cut through the join and put a proper coupler in.

does the sink not smell withou a trap?

There is a trap, it has a flexible pipe coming off it. Having had a closer look, this flexible pipe has a harder ending, and it goes into a hard pipe. Although one fits into the other, without something to hold them together, they're always threatening to come apart once water is flowing through them. Also, the pipe from the sink comes into the other at a bit of an angle, which makes it easier for them to come apart. I'll take some photos and post them up.

Rip the lot out and start again. Traps and waste pipe/fittings aren't ridiculously expensive. If you're not confident using solvent weld, compression or push fit systems are available. Put some pics up and we'll tell you what the options are.

Sponsored Links
Here's some photos -- one with the pipes connected, and one with them unconnected (so you can see there's only a few centimetres of join possible). Is there a standard connector which would join them? Otherwise I may do what Hugh suggests and replace them, although it's not easy to get access to the existing pipe which goes to the drain, so I'd rather not have to replace that one.
sink_pipes1.jpg
sink_pipes2.jpg

A picture from further back would make more sense, I think people are suggesting replacing everything from the black connector up to the sink trap. I had an Ikea sink come with some weird fittings like that grey one, just binned it all and used standard stuff from screwfix.

You're right mushroom, that looks distinctly ikea (grey) going into a pushfit connector. Easiest and cheapest solution may be to swap that black pushfit connector for a compression one. Should hopefully hold together then. Better would be to bin the ikea bits and fit decent stuff like McAlpine.

It is an Ikea sink, that I know, so probably the grey pipe is Ikea.

The close-up photo was just to get some opinions on a quick-fix. If replacing the pipe is the general consensus I'll do a photo up under the sink where the pipe connects to the plughole.

The black pipework should be fine, looks as the others have said, like you've got Ikea stuff from the sink, which is not compatible with UK plumbing systems. I'd take that black coupling off the pipe, fit a compression coupler, and redo from there in your choice of pipework, replacing the waste (plughole and overflow) with something of UK standard.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back