Drilled through gas pipe....kind of

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

First time posting and after advice.

Did the classic of drilling some floorboards down and hit the gas pipe, lifted up the floorboard and luckily it looks like it hasn't gone through.

Its not leaking thankfully, no smell of any gas, but is it worth getting this repaired or should it be ok?

I've uploaded a picture, yes I hit it twice first one went in nicely, its the second one where I had resistance and then thought to check! (pipe on the left is redundant)

Appreciate the feedback!

Attachments

• 20210220_093332.jpg
    20210220_093332.jpg
    366.2 KB · Views: 333
Sponsored Links
Lucky it was iron not copper! Get it replaced/repaired at once! Iron pipe has a wall thickness of 2 to 3 mm you have gone down at least half way maybe more. The inside may also have some rusting.
Is it the inlet or outlet supply (before or after the meter) inlet must be done by the supply company.

PS don't fell too bad I have done the same in a wall and I was a gasfitter!:whistle:

Haha, thanks for your quick response!

Its after the gas meter thankfully, am I correct in saying a qualified gas engineer can make the repair? Also does the repair have to be in iron also? Forgive my ignorance

Sponsored Links
Yes gas safe engineer only. No it can be re-piped in copper. I doubt many fitters these days are equipped to work on iron (stocks and dies to thread) other than screwing an odd fitting on the end of a run. If replaced in copper under a floor it should have metal plates covering the copper at each joist, can you guess why?:sneaky:

Nice one thanks for your help, at least I know what to expect when I call the gas guy round!

I think this is a good time to buy a pipe/ cable detector haha

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back