Half inch lead pipe in wall either side of fireplace?

Surely there is a standard procedure for this type of thing?

In the same way that an electrician will 'earth spike' a power cable to see if it's live will not a gas man perhaps drill a small hole to test for pressure and have a threaded plug ready to plug the hole if it turns out to be live?

I'm not suggesting that is the right thing to do in this case but it may be what I might suggest having tried to trace the pipework back or confirmed that pipes from the meter only go to one or two newer appliances.

Seems strange to me that the gas industry doesn't have a standaed procedure for this type of investigation.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I'd be careful.. I have a lead gas pipe running from the meter to the fire place which is still in use... You can't see this from the actual meter as it's t'd off under the floor boards, looks all copper from above, but down below is the danger, I also had another length of lead running into the over lounge, but this was cut off from the meter with the end open, but still you have to make sure it's not connected from the 1st fire/pipe.... (y)

There's also a run of lead pipe going up the cavity wall towards the bathroom, either it's and old water pipe, or the house had a gas fire upstairs too?

Old water pipe it must be? Under floor boards it goes, internal double skinned wall it enters,..

Fire places upstairs I have seen... Old houses it was.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back