removing old lead pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I've just had british gas round as part of their homecare package to look at some old lead pipe in a cuboard in my flat. Basically there used to be a boiler there which the previous owners had removed and had a combi boiler put in the kitchen, so there are now two capped off pipes running down the wall in the cuboard that dissappear into the ceiling. I asked the guy from BG if it would be possible to have the pipes cut back and he said that it is but that (a) it's not covered by the heating and plumbing part of the homecare agreement, which was half the point of getting the bloody thing! and that even if it was (b) BG don't touch lead pipes anyway. So could anyone tell me just as rough guess how much I could expect to pay to have this done and is there really a big deal about removing lead pipes or is it just BG wanting my money but not wanting to do any work for it?

Sponsored Links
are the lead pipes still connected to anything ?

if not..just cut them yourslef

if they are connected then depending what they do, how long they are etc

i'd guess at £40-£80...assuming they dont run round to the bath, basin etc

they come down from the ceiling straight into the old airing cuboard i'm guessing they connect to a water tank somewhere up in the top of the flats but wether it has any water I don't know but thanks for the advice
and what about the fact they are lead? is there some health and safety reason as to why someone would not work on it?

is there some health and safety reason as to why someone would not work on it?

No problems at all.

BG cover is for breakdowns, not for movng inconvenient pipes about!

Sponsored Links
funny then that the guy said that BG wont touch lead pipes. oh well never mind

BG will not touch lead pipes wether they are live or dead, leaking or not.
This is in the terms & conditions of the policy, that should have been read once you recieved them.

If you read them you will notice that they also don't cover taps/stop taps.

As Chris has said the cover is for blockages & leaks not for improving/moving pipes.

bg homecare is a bludy waste of money and time, my parents had a leak wih a lead pipe the bugger left it leaking saying they dont work with lead pipes. What sort of plumbing service or company doesnt deal with lead pipes? Its like calling out an electrician who says he doesnt work with rubber insulated wire.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back