how to cap off old lead waste?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have an old lead waste pipe running through my house. I'm moving the bathroom so it's no longer required. However I want to remove the pipe to use the void to carry new water and central heating pipes upstairs. The lead pipe is about 50mm diameter and goes into a massive waste pipe under the floorboards. I want to cut the pipe off as close to this join as possible and seal it off permanently. What's the best way to do this?

Sponsored Links
Can you post some photos?
What is the 'massive waste pipe' it joins to made of and how does it join it?

At this point I have to reveal I've already cut off the pipe. here's some pics though. The big pipe (probably about 4inches) looks like it might have a u-bend embedded in concrete where the lead pipe enters. Theres loads of dust so its difficult to say how the join's been made but it seems like it's been sealed in with a hard rough material (lead?). The property is circa 1830
20160530_163907.jpg
20160530_164310.jpg
20160530_163926.jpg

Sponsored Links
Ah! I wouldn't have cut the lead that close to the boss - then you could have beaten it flat and soldered the seam!
Is the branch pipe that it connects to still 'live'? Does it serve other parts of your property? Does it serve other properties/floors above?
If it has to be maintained as a branch pipe then you will have to bung it with something that won't drop into the branch and block it up!

Yeah i probably shouldn't have have done this, although I do have the old lead pipe, I could cut some off to form a cover and solder this on (although i would need a professional in to do this).

I don't think any other waste is connected to this, everything else goes directly to drains out the back of the building.

Could I put a 50mm plastic waste cap fitting in with a load of silicone sealent? Will the ubend prevent smells anyway?

If nothing else goes through it and you are certain you wont need it then Expanding foam?

Well I wouldn't want to quite rule out anyone using it ever again. Are you talking about filling it right up, or just at the join but some will fall down?

I'll certainly keep this as an option

@crobar I think you have enough of a stub left there to use one of the fernco caps!
Next time though, more thought, less crowbar :sneaky:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back