Waterproof tape for pipe fix

22 and overflow for me too, still naughty naughty though how it's been done.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Just how close was the drill to that gas pipe? :eek: :eek:

View media item 58076Gas - 15mm
Flow and return - 22mm

And I thought my missus' observation skills were lacking. :rolleyes:

Far too close for comfort, the thing is I'm very hady and normally very careful I had marked out where to drill then just decided to put one in there for good measure.

http://i1340.photobucket.com/albums...B55DB9F-2897-000002CF3DDA1D49_zps34771adb.jpg

Apart from gas leaking would it have started a fire?

An electric drill, spitting sparks everywhere from the brushes.......maybe. :evil:

Isolate the pipe, drain, cut, fit a compression repair coupling or solder using a slip coupler.

Be carefull if soldering. Wood burns and we've seen how accident prone you can be. ;)

Isolate the pipe, drain, cut, fit a compression repair coupling or solder using a slip coupler.

Be carefull if soldering. Wood burns and we've seen how accident prone you can be. ;)

I've never attempted soldering as I don't own a blow torch, prob for the best.

I could do one of those push fit joints but it would never fit in the space.

I just remembered I got a free 6month trial of home emergency cover with the AA when I took out my car insurance last month. I rang them up and they are sending a chap out free of charge to repair the pipe, happy days. Quite surprising considering I caused the problem myself.

Thanks all for your help and replies, will be interesting to see what connection he puts on.

It's unlikely the gas leak would have caused an immediate fire. Chances are you'd have known nothing about it because of the relatively low leak rate but gas would have built up gradually, you would probably have smelled it but had no idea where it was coming from, then at some time later, your house and anyone in it may have been blown to smithereens. Count yourself lucky it was a water leak.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back