Is running gas pipe through the house safe/legal?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My plumber wants to run 22mm gas pipe into the house and under the upstairs floorboards to the rear of the property which is an approx 6.5m straight run.
I'm a little nervous having the gas pipe run through the property (it's under the kids bedrooms), I can't say I've ever seen it done like this before... Is it safe/legal to do this?

Sponsored Links
Yes, serious question! The alternative would be routed around the side of the house through the garage (which is attached). Is it common to run the gas pipe under the floorboards then?

Sponsored Links
Yes, serious question! The alternative would be routed around the side of the house through the garage (which is attached). Is it common to run the gas pipe under the floorboards then?
Most houses will have internal gas pipes at some point.

Do you or any family/friends have a boiler? Or a gas fire ? How do you think you connect the gas to these?o_O ,you have nothing to worry about I assure you.

Fine!
There is a move to try and remove uncontrolled gas (the pipe coming in from the road to the maincock) from inside, hence outside meter boxes.
No problem in a normal domestic for outlet supplies.(y)

Fine!
There is a move to try and remove uncontrolled gas (the pipe coming in from the road to the maincock) from inside, hence outside meter boxes.
Have you any more info on this ? - I'd like to get my meter out of the garage an on the wall outside nearby. Do you have to contact your regional supplier ?

Yes if they want to do it it will be free, but chances are if you request it they will screw you!;)
Worth giving them a call anyway.(y)

We have had gas pipe to our gas fire in the front room, on the outside wall, since the year 2000 , our gable end and the next door neighbour's gable end have a small alley way going to our neighbours back yard .a our cottage but bought built in 1892 to the rear of terraced houses was built in 1897 the weather for terraced houses in time I'm somebody Dr boot two of the houses and knocked it into one our neighbours came in in the year 2000 and was ok they knew that the pipe we would maintain our gave end brickwork painting etc with no problem I even painted the whole house cable which is very higher than ours but recently lee-ann came and said that at the pipe was on their land and they owned the land which was an alleyway the size of the Ali would be the width would be about 8ft going down to 4ft with a length of of 30-ft . They have put a small porch in the alleyway onto the property made of non-combustible material and is less than a metre away from our gable end pipework the problem is , i said we will re-route the pipe and internally to the gas fire making the pipework redundant on the outside wall of our gable end I suppose the gas fitter will disconnect that take it off and maybe use it for scrap and then fit new gas pipe our wall on our land and it will go go when I ask the gas metre which way is going to root it the only way we can see it would go along there the skirting board wall all through one wall then into the side of the fireplace will this will this be any problem

We have had gas pipe to our gas fire in the front room, on the outside wall, since the year 2000 , our gable end and the next door neighbour's gable end have a small alley way going to our neighbours back yard .a our cottage but bought built in 1892 to the rear of terraced houses was built in 1897 the weather for terraced houses in time I'm somebody Dr boot two of the houses and knocked it into one our neighbours came in in the year 2000 and was ok they knew that the pipe we would maintain our gave end brickwork painting etc with no problem I even painted the whole house cable which is very higher than ours but recently lee-ann came and said that at the pipe was on their land and they owned the land which was an alleyway the size of the Ali would be the width would be about 8ft going down to 4ft with a length of of 30-ft . I have put a small porch in the alleyway onto the property made of non-combustible material and is less than a metre away from our gable end pipework the problem he's the problem is is that I said we will re-route the pipe and internally to the gas fire does making the pipework redundant on the outside wall of our gable end I suppose the gas fitter will disconnect that take it off off-white and and maybe use it for scrap and then fit new gas gas pipe

If a gas pipe is been attached to our our building but our neighbour said it's in and intruding on his land and which has always been a right of way access for their to get back to to get to the back door of a little end terraced house but we've always maintained our gable end walls painting etc and having the gas fitter check the pipes for leaks from from the entrance into the wall to the gas pipe going right round to the pipe going to the gas metre checking for leaks every every so often can he refuse any workmen such as gas electric telephone people going down the alley to check on work

Yes if they want to do it it will be free, but chances are if you request it they will screw you!;)
Worth giving them a call anyway.(y)
We got a wall box (I'm pleased ) because they couldn't use the old pipe as a conduit - they are renewing the pipes down the whole road. (y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back