Waterproofing an external wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have moisture coming through the corner of an external wall, and reasonably sure that the ridge of tiles halfway up the wall is part of the problem, as it's likely that water can settle on/in it:

View media item 87886
A few people have recommended treating/repairing it somehow, possibly including installing lead flashing on its topside to make sure rainwater drips down to the ground, but no-one has laid out an actual solution.

A roughcaster has said that the render itself is sound, and a painter is happy to scrape back the loose layer, paint some kind of weatherseal coating and then repaint the whole house as it's fairly weathered and old, but I want to make sure that damp can't get in anywhere.

What would you recommend?

View media item 91133
View media item 91132
View media item 91131

Sponsored Links
It looks like the problem is that open gap between the render and tile.

Clear off the paint as necessary and have it filled with cement grout and then repaint the area. Or make good the render around it if it's loose

You'll need to either replace those delaminated tiles or make sure that they are sufficiently covered with render and paint

That sounds like less work than I had in mind, which is good. :)

So between the bricks, render, cement grout where needed and a repaint of the whole house, that should keep the moisture out?

Sponsored Links
Could someone link to some suitable cement grout please, finally getting round to sorting this (after 15 months). :)

I've used Polycell quick dry cement filler before, but only for little touchups, and it's way too expensive for something like this. Almost dries too fast to work with too.

Buy a bag of "Cement", mix it with water so it's runny, voila "Cement Grout"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back