waterproofing brickwork and mortar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I'm building an outdoor brick oven. The roof will be a brick arch. Like the image below (if it works! :) )

It's obviously gonna get loads of rain on it. I need it to be as waterproof of possible, so I have 2 questions please:

1. Is there an additive I can add to the mortar?
2. What is the best waterproofing product I can brush/spray to the brick-work?

Thanks in advance

Mick

20357_310762644476_850664476_3315897_4484362_n.jpg

Sponsored Links
Respectfully, and not trying to put you of, it is a beautiful looking oven and a credit to the skill of who ever built it, but in my opinion it will not work.
The design is wrong. Even with 300 to 450mm light weight insulated concrete underneath the arched brickwork, the heat loss up the flue will not allow the oven to achieve the temperatures that you will be looking for.
Suggest you read some of the American web sites, How to build pizza ovens.
oldun ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies

I have heard Thompsons a few times so I'll go for that

Oldun ... it's already working mate and cooking lovely pizza. I did preen a lot of advise from the Americans especially http://www.fornobravo.com. They even have a set of free plans there :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back