Waterproofing - cladding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I need some advice regarding the best way to waterproof tongue and groove cladding.

I have recently installed spruce T&G cladding in my bathroom and in particular around the bath. As the bath is also used as a shower I need some advice on the best way to waterproof the cladding to ensure that water doesn’t get behind/through it when we use the shower. The cladding will be painted with eggshell paint.

Any advice on varnishes, pre-treatments, adhesives etc is desperately needed.

:)

Sponsored Links
Are you saying the T&G cladding is in the shower cubicles area with water splashing onto it ?

Sort of. There is no shower cubicle as such, just the bath. A mixer tap is used for the shower.

However, as the T&G goes around the bath area, when the shower is used it will get water spraying on it and running down it.

To be honest,I think you will have long term problems as wood need to breathe and will get expand movement from the T&G joint unless you're to prepare to keep painting it.Just a thought,how about using plastic pvc T&G which is waterproof but limited for colour or a shower glass screen in front of it.As you already done the job,might pay you to have a look at boat/yatch paint which is durable to external factors such as sea & rain etc.........

Sponsored Links
lonz, I have T&G cladding along the side of my bath, but it is never exposed to more than a few rogue drips of water. Where the cladding meets the skirt, I used clear aquatic seal along the edge to stop water getting in behind it, the same along the bottom of the skirt. But on balance I'd say the best thing you could do is fit a shower screen.

Unless of course you mean the cladding is fitted along the wall above the height of the bath?

If you do.....I wouldn't.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back