Watertight Rendering

Status
Not open for further replies.
By the way, alanfrank, I hope you are taking all of this in!

You've caused a Lime Schism.
Gentlemen, Gentlemen, please don't fall out on my account. I really appreciate you both taking the time to send in your views. As I said I will be employing a plasterer to do the job for me. I guess I will have to take his advice, then if the waterproofing doesn't work at least I have somebody to blame!! Thanks again both of you.
Alan

Sponsored Links
Gentlemen, Gentlemen, please don't fall out on my account. I really appreciate you both taking the time to send in your views. As I said I will be employing a plasterer to do the job for me. I guess I will have to take his advice, then if the waterproofing doesn't work at least I have somebody to blame!! Thanks again both of you.
Alan

I'm sure his plastering will be sublime.

Sponsored Links
I think JR IS a joke to legs akimbo.
Alan I will answer your questions and set the record straight for those who realy should know (more) and better when I have a moment.

and jr thinks legs akimbo it a ...... i dont wanna say but i think you can gather my drift. ive never met someone who if they dont agree with what someone says will belittle people so much and think that its his way or noway. legs you give it the big i am but i wonder....?????

I think JR IS a joke to legs akimbo.
Alan I will answer your questions and set the record straight for those who realy should know (more) and better when I have a moment.

Legs, the day we stop learning is the day we die . I am quite happy and ready to be convinced of anything that sheds light on what I do for a living, that might make life easier and the work I do better. I'm sure that you will be able to do so and I look forward to it.

I'm only putting forward the reasons as I see them, and I think it is fair to say that however mistaken I may be, I have shown good enough grounds for having laboured under the misapprehension in question for so long.

Well said micilin :D let the input continue so we can all wake up tomorrow better people :p

The first floor on the front aspect of my house is weatherproofed with ugly 'concrete' type tiles. I would like to remove them and have the area rendered to match the ground floor. A neighbour has done this but is having problems with damp as apparently underneath the tiles is only a single skin of brick. Does anybody have any suggestions how to resolve this problem?
Thanks
alanfrank

Firstly are you absolutely sure that there is only a single leaf of brickwork here?
If it is on to the main house and not say a porch or draught lobby I would be very surprised. Can you determine what type of brick it is?
If it is solid then some type of chemical injection would be possible but complete overkill. If they are modern bricks 3 or 10 hole perforated or fogged for example Iwould imagine them completly incompatible to effective injection.
As for the lime issue I will not dwell on this in detail surfice to say that a waterproof agaent CAN replace lime in a gauge to make it workable but that is not to say you have to use one or another, Using both gives you the benefits of of the waterproofer and the workable consistancy of the mortar gauge in a coarse, quality plastering sand as well as the aesthetic consistant appearence of the cured render, attempting to supplement the lime ratio( 1 to every 3 or 4 cement) with additional waterproofer over dilutes the mix and the mortar is unworkable. Its about balance and ease of use of your material not choosing one over the other unless for a particular circumstance in detail.
Alan for your particular problem I would (if indeed you strangely have a single skin wall) take the opportunity to externally insulate this area of wall while the opportunity presents itself, it would be madness not to in my opinion. If not then an off the shelf (paint on) tanking solution would surfice along with a three coat render of 2:1 then 3:1 sand cement waterproofer, followed by a finished coat of 4 or 5:1 sand cement lime waterproofer.
Note I dont add lime to an backing coat there is no need they are not ruled, napped, floated or visible so use lime by choice.

a waterproof agaent CAN replace lime in a gauge to make it workable ........ attempting to supplement the lime ratio( 1 to every 3 or 4 cement) with additional waterproofer over dilutes the mix and the mortar is unworkable...........
Note I dont add lime to an backing coat there is no need they are not ruled, napped, floated or visible so use lime by choice.

Cor limey, isn't that what I said at the start of all this?

"Most waterproofers spec won't allow lime in the mix. You put lime in to improve workability and make it creamier to rub up. In the first coat, a good waterproofer will help the workability and you won't be rubbing it up(finishing it)

Lime also sets as a lattice in the render, so it gives it a bit of flexibility, which is another reason to use in in a top coat."

I rang up Everbuild today (01132 403456) to get it from the horse's mouth. We are using their Integral Waterproofer 202 rendering houses on a site near Stanstead. The company we do a lot of rendering for use this all the time.

Their tech guy said that under no circumstances should we add lime to the mix if we want to use it as a waterproofer.

So we are all happy now??:cool:

Happy as a pig in...........lime and..................waterproofer ;)

And I rang technical support at Quinns who advised that lime should always be used in conjunction with their products in conjunction with their code of good working practice, so I will continue to adhere to my time honoured methods, and we shall all die happy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back