Waxing Birch Ply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just waxed some birch ply with Briwax Mahogany. They already had a coat of pine wax so I gave two coats of mahogany to cover

For some reason they seem to have some up a bit streaky or blotchy.
Should I just give them another coat of mahogany, sand them down a bit with120 grit or just live with it.

Thanks

Attachments

• WP_20161110_007.jpg
    WP_20161110_007.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 170
  • WP_20161110_008(1).jpg
    WP_20161110_008(1).jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 127
  • WP_20161110_008.jpg
    WP_20161110_008.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 134
Sponsored Links
That's kinda what I'd expect when you try to put a coloured wax on top of wax* -the surface is already sealed so there's nothing for the mahogany stain to soak into. You'll have to scrub it all off with meths, sand it, and try again if you want an even finish.

*Would it be silly of me to ask why you did this?

Last edited:
Thanks for that .

I changed my mind about the colour. I thought maybe the mahogany would blend in with the pine somehow but as you say has laid on top . Would white spirit be ok or does it have to be meths ? Also does it have to be totally sanded back to the bare wood ?

Yes white spirit or turps will work too. You may get away with a light sanding... hard to say.

Sponsored Links
What do you suggest ?> Try light sanding first to take the shine off at least and try a coat of mahogany on one board. If no good then take the lot off with white spirit and start again. I quite like the colour but just the few streaks I want to get rid of.

Great Most of this wall will be hidden by book shelves so I can afford to make a few mistakes. When I go on to the main walls I will stick to the one colour !

Thanks a lot for your time and advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back