waxing worn varnished floors?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Bored out of my mind. Notice that the 23 year-old Merbau (?) solid wood floor in the lounge has gone completely dull. I wiped it down with a damp mop to find that it actually wets the wood.

What would happen if I run some wax over the floor now? Would it make it look alive again? Could I end up ruining it? Chances are that the floor might be ripped up or sanded down and re sealed again within the next year (Varnish or oiled and Osmo'd for a nicer finish). Could my waxing humbuggery set me up for a fall when it comes to doing the proper full job?

Regards
U

Sponsored Links
You have to use a maintenance product that is suitable for floor that have been varnished or lacquered, not a product that is only suitable for waxed or oiled floors.
See here for two options: mat or anti-slip polish

Thanks for the link. I remember looking at that site for advice on other flooring matters.

I just thought this might be a good time to sneakily turn the rubbed-off varnish floor to a fancy waxed version.

That is possible: IF you make sure all the old varnish is gone (means sanding) and then applying two coats of hardwax oil or what we recommend more on tropical floors: one coat of Euku Oil 1 and one coat of wax polish.

Sponsored Links
Argh! nuts to that idea then!

I will wait until I can clear all the kit off the floor (two houses worth) and see which way to go.

I think that sealant might need to be used, at least to look after the floor for the time being.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back