Messed up parquet floor - what should I do?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The builders were supposed to sand a parquet floor and put two coats of varnish on it. No wax.

We were not at the premises to see what they did and just trusted they would get it right.

When the work was finished, there appeared to be wax on top of the varnish becuase you could see marks made by shoes on it and it seemed sticky.

After a week, we took the mat up and the blocks were a different colour underneath.

That's not the worst of it - as yellowish spots suddenly appeared where the 'wax?' had come off.

We thought that the builders has covered up the floor with something - on top of varnish? - to cover up the spots.

We think the only thing to do is to remove the whole lot - varnish and all and start again. But what should we do to remove the varnish and deal with the strange yellow spots?

Glad of any suggestions as we've asked some local flooring installers and they have come up with (from a photograph):

1. There could be moisture underneath the floor - it could be a big job.

2. The blocks had some oil in them - which accounts for the spots. The oil must be removed with turpentine before you can do anything else.

3. Someone has spilt paint stripper on the floor and then tried to cover it up - that accounts for the spots.

The work has been done very badly. You'll have to have it all stripped off and start again.

Any suggestions would be helpful, as we are not sure which way to turn.

Sponsored Links
get them back to see there shoddy work and tell them to sort it out.

Thanks - I have and they've given me all the money back because it was so obvious that it was wrong.

But I don't know how to correct it. And it's once bitten, twice shy with builders.

Once you've had something like this happen, you don't know who to believe.

Unless you know what to say to someone who comes round, it's awkward because you don't want the same thing to happen again.

You're absolutely right, sand right back to the bare wood. Once you've done this seal any oils, old waxes in by coating the floor with Transeal , this is a shellac barrier seal used commonly by flooring contractors if they think there might be some inherent problems in the grain of the wood.

After applying the Transeal, I'd recommend you go for a waterbased finish someting like Aquacoat SP or a Polyurethane Varnish - both of these will give excellent protection. Apply 3 coats and leave for a week before holding a party, laying rugs or cleaning the surface.

I hope this helps but please come back with any other questions

Ian McAslan
Smith & Rodger Ltd

Sponsored Links
Thank you very much indeed Ian. :D

I think you have given me some good advice.

And I will print it off and try and look knowledgable when someone comes round to look at the job.

I'm sure they will be astounded at my impressive grasp of the problems of parquet flooring... :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back