wbp or cement partical board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am building a structure around my woodfire oven to protect it from the weather and to retain the vermiculite insulation that I intend to pour (loose) around it. My question is which is the better board for the job wbp or cement partical. The structure itself will not have any direct heat, also I am going to be cladding it with slate cladding panels, so what need to be done to either board to take the cladding panels (tiles).

Any thought or advice welcome, I hope I have given enough information.

Sponsored Links
I would suggest 19 mm wbp ply, for strength in high wind etc. counter battened for the tiles (or are we talking cemented and grouted tiles?)...pinenot :)

the company where the tiles are coming from has suggested the wbp has an acrylic bond and priming agent is put on before tiles are put on with a flexible adhesive. sound ok?

the builders merchant suggested 9mm ply .... so that is what we have now, didnt get the reply til after it was ordered. The area were the woodfire oven is is sheltered from high winds and the frame work is being secured to the brick work of the oven, so I would hope that 9mm is ok?? Unless you say a very loud no ...

No given the brick to fix to 9 mm will work well. Also the merchants advice sounds good...pinenot :)

Sponsored Links
Strength of the frame you make is the most important part, make sure you put plenty of screws into the ply when fixing it to the frame

Thanks for your information, the frame work is up and is very strong!

A further question if you can help, I need to box out the flue of the oven so I can clad it. As it get extremely hot I need a fire board .... can I use Hardieboard 250 for this job? From what I have read its a regulation loop that requires hardie to state interior only for the US ... I found an exterior warranty doc for their cement board, if you live in a certain zone in the US it can be used outside ..... OR am I miss reading it totally and there is a very good reason why it cant be used outside? it will be cladded (sealed) from the weather ??? what are you thoughts?

OOI, what is this woodfire oven used for?

cooking food... the fire board is for the outside the oven (to protect the dome which is made from firebricks, covered in refactor mortar then vermicete, we are buliding a house around it instead of rendering it so we can add loose vermiculite between the current dome and the 'new house'. (hope that makes sense). no direct flame will come incontact with the external structure, the flue obviously gets very hot (pizzas are cooked in mins at 500c). So the chimney looks the same we are creating a box around the flue, cement partical board keeps leading me back to hardieboard 250 or 500 but the website says internal use only, why if its cement? and if we cant use it outside even though it will be cladded from the elements where can I get what I need, fireproof board for external use?!!? Help I am so stuck ....

This sounds interesting, couldn't post some pics/sketches etc. could you?...pinenot

The start of the oven, on hinesight the flue is in the wrong place ... but it still can reach high temps and makes a mean pizza :)

Its new home, the start of the frame work .... we are using wbp on the sides front and osb on the roof (having the shingle roofing felt as a finish) and back (the osb on the back will be protected with left over dp membrane, as the roof will over hang and its butted up against the fence I am confident that it is well protected).

round the opening of the oven mouth and around the flue is where we are stuck ... we need fireboard for external use; b&q do cement partical board but it doesnt state external use and no b&q in leicestershire stock it!!!??? All merchants keep coming back to hardiebacker but their website sites say not for outside. any thoughts would be great.

I add more photos later as the front has changed for this photo.

Pinenot I wish I had heard about this product alot sooner .... we have now got all the materials (with the exception of the how to clad the flue).

After alot of phone calls and hours on the internet I have decided versapanels, I will fill the void between flue and the panels (and frame) with vermiculite to reduce the temperature it is exposed too.

The reason for the 'house' is because my husband doesnt like render, we could of made it (like normal people) out of brick but we thought this way would keep cost down and my dad (who is the making this) is better with wood.

Thanks for your help and I think I have given my husband a thought for the next stage in our garden transformation with regards to the hemp. So i might be coming back to you for more information soon.

Your more than welcome to come back to me, the reintroduction of hemp into the marketplace (used to be the worlds most used material) will open a few eyes and minds to the amount of uses it can be put...pinenot

Hi, the building is now up .... new question.... funds are short this month so will the WBP cope with the weather we are having (in East Mids its frosty then warm then rain ... then windy!) or should I coat it with the acrylic bond and priming agent now, will it offer any protection? itll be at least another 4 to 6 weeks til we can put the slate tiles on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back