WC - 3 x 90 degree elbows

Reaction score
Country
France
Hi

If I had the WC evacuated by the above, would it be a guaranteed disaster or maybe o.k. ?

It would be out of WC, (horizontal) then 2 x 90 elbows horizontal (so now coming back on itself ) and the third vertical. There would be no straight pipe between them just elbow directly to elbow.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
It should be alright - but I can't promise without seeing it!

Thanks for your interest.

Can't take a pic immediately as I was asking about the possibility of doing it . Will mock it up if I have enough spare elbows and upload tomorrow ( or day after if I have to get more elbows).

Sponsored Links
Not sure what the Regs are in France (do they have any :LOL: ) but it would not comply with UK Regs & it sounds like a recipe for blockages if your diet is less than perfect which could also be difficult to clear.

@ Richard C : I don't know about French plumbing regs. Strange that although people frequently mention the current edition of electrical regs nothing is said about plumbing. But that's the same as in Britain , is it not ?

Anyway, to help me understand, what exactly would be not acceptable to British regs?

Thinking about it for a little, would it help enough if the second elbow were angled down at 45 degrees with, maybe 10 -15 cm straight pipe feeding into a 45 elbow on the floor ?

( I don't want to complicate matters unnecessarily, but after it ( the flush ) has gone through these manoeuvres, it will immediately hit another 90 elbow under the floor, travel approx 1,5 m straight before getting to a drop of about 2.5 m . Is this a further potential cause of problems ?)

What is the crucial point here ?

Is it the water losing its initial momentum or the water being able to flow away faster than the solids and leaving them behind - or other ?

@JMLanders: Thanks. I'll have to consider these unpleasant ideas but that seems to be a (probably) 110 mm elbow with rubber seal. Are you suggesting that would fit in a 100 mm solvent-weld scenario ?

To be honest, I can't really see what regs it's breaking (Richard, please advise :confused: ), nor why it would be a problem, especially if you fitted an access point as previously described.

Anyway, to help me understand, what exactly would be not acceptable to British regs?

To be honest, I can't really see what regs it's breaking (Richard, please advise :confused: ), nor why it would be a problem, especially if you fitted an access point as previously described.

You’re both right; seeing the French flag on your profile, I didn’t really take the post seriously for which I apologise. You can’t be too sure of any posts on here lately & I was just being a smart ars e. As long as you have access points & a good fall it will meet British Regs. but is that relevant if you really are in France?

It's far less than ideal &, as I said, just make sure your diet is good because it will surely be good “stop of point” for sturdy “Richard the 3rds” ; make sure your Esacrgot have plenty of Garlic on them & take an extra dose on the bread. :LOL:

Here's how it will look like.

Have used various m/f connections which don't match so appearance is approximate but close to reality.

Reality will have a small negative angle on all elbows from wc porcelain connector into floor.

@Richard C. I am not trying to comply with UK regs. I just hoped that, if they were based on expertise and experience they might tell me if this will/won't be a terrible idea e.g. " there shall not be more than 2 x 90 elbows within 1 m of wc bowl..."

If you - or anyone else -felt able to comment further on my questions re the "real issues" as well as the underfloor layout, I would be grateful.

There will be a UFH screed going on top, so underfloor problems would be extremely unwelcome.

If it is in France, then who cares?

Topical really. Bad floods in the South after 250 mm rain in one day ( not wc's) and 350 mm in some unfortunate areas. [

wouldn't pass uk regs due to the lack of points for rodding. if there was a blockage in the section under the floor, how would you clear it? The fittings on the elbow section are all solvent welded so you would have to saw them off to get a rod in. Not very pleasant.

Is there a vent above the point where you have the 2.5m drop?

Try to make the 3rd bend an obtuse angle so there is some fall on the otherwise horizontal parts, and include an access on the elbow if possible.

@htgeng

Thanks for the comment. As someone who has never suffered a WC blockage, I must confess that the possibility has never been at the forefront of my mind until my poor planning forced the re-positioning of this wc and gave rise to this unfortunate set of meanders !

Presumably you would say that it would be a good idea to replace the final elbow with a tee and then put a screw-fit access trap on that ? Would that be enough in your view ?

That apart do you feel that the sinous path taken is likely to give problems ? I will probably be letting this place for several weeks per year and have no idea how differently wc's react to different stomachs !

Vent above the 2.5 m drop ? Well not in the sense of a vertical stench-pipe if that is the correct terminology. A 40 mm waste-pipe from sink on the floor above empties into this soil-pipe and so I have extended that horizontally at a small upward angle to exit through a side wall.

I live in the Alps so "best-practice " is to make as few holes in roof as possible :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back