Outside tap - compression adapting 90 degree elbow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm planning to install an outdoor tap. I've come across the following compression adapting 90 degree elbow. Most of the outdoor taps i've seen with this usually has the copper pipe exiting from above this elbow and bending downwards to the elbow. Just wondering can it be the other way round? Can the copper supply pipe come from beneath the tap and go up to the tap?

ae235

Sponsored Links
The reason that the supply goes in from the top, is that in winter you isolate the supply inside and leave the tap open so all the water drains out so it doesnt freeze up and burst, if you want to fit it from below install some type of drain point at the lowest part, usually the elbow where the supply comes through the wall

Thanks, do I need to put PTFE tape on the bib tap thread? I've read mixed opinions about the need for PTFE

Sponsored Links
yes, it's a screwed joint.

by adding sufficient turns, you can make it a tight fit as it reaches vertical, so that it will not easily screw in or out and go off vertical.

Thanks, do I need to put PTFE tape on the bib tap thread? I've read mixed opinions about the need for PTFE

You will need to use a jointing compound yes, as JohnD said, it’s a screwed joint. You can use Loctite 55, never used myself but others seem to rave about it.

As @JohnD says for that joing PTFE is best as most joints you do up till tight ,but you want the tap to be vertical so plenty of PTFE will allow you to just leave it when tightish and vertical

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back