WC Siphon problem.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently replaced the defective siphon in our (pretty old) close-coupled WC using info from previous postings on this great site. The job worked pretty well but for one thing: the flush is now much less powerful. The previous siphon was of the round type. Perhaps the replacement siphon is not the correct size? With the holes in the side plugged it is supposed to give a 9 litre flush. Also the old siphon had a separate cylindrical piece that attached to the siphon outlet. I was not able to obtain this item and could not find any technical reference to it anywhere. Would the omission of this item be likely to influence the effectiveness of the flush?

Thanks very much for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Busted Tool said:
I have recently replaced the defective siphon in our (pretty old) close-coupled WC using info from previous postings on this great site. The job worked pretty well but for one thing: the flush is now much less powerful. The previous siphon was of the round type. Perhaps the replacement siphon is not the correct size? With the holes in the side plugged it is supposed to give a 9 litre flush. Also the old siphon had a separate cylindrical piece that attached to the siphon outlet. I was not able to obtain this item and could not find any technical reference to it anywhere. Would the omission of this item be likely to influence the effectiveness of the flush?

Thanks very much for any advice.

youv'e fitted a dual flush syphon by the sound of it, short discharge for number 1, full discarge for number two's, the latter can be done by.
holding the lever down a little longer, this will give you the full 9 litres.
PS: Are you sure it's not a syphonic suite? try to post a picture, because if it is a syphonic suite, a normal syphon will not work as effectively as a syphonic syphon, of which has a special part inside the syphon called an Airex, check inside the body of your old syphon, if you still have it.
They donot make the syphons anymore, but you can still get an airex from a decent plumbers merchants, good luck

Thanks for the advice, Pointman. No, it is not a dual flush siphon. Yes, it is a symphonic loo and the device you described as an Airex was obtainable. The first one I tried was too broad for the (standard) syphon but the replacement fitted fine and hey, ho the loos back to working order. Thanks again. ;)

Sponsored Links
A symphonic loo eh? Gives a whole new meaning to chamber music!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back