Weak Concrete Base to House

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been stripping out a 1930's semi, and found that under the rotten wooden floor is a concrete base. The concrete base is approximately a few inches deep laid directly onto soil. When the house was built they ran joists in the concrete to fit the wooden floors to which have eventually rotted, and reduced the strength of the concrete base.

I have now dug out the joists and completely removed the wooden floor. I now have a number of deep gullys in the floor which I need to fill.

Therefore what is the best way to fill these holes (bearing in mind there is soil at the bottom of them)? I also want to strengthen the floor, i.e. make it more damp resistant. Would I need to lay a new concrete base on top of the existing base and then a self levelling screed damp screed? Any comments would be greatly welcome.

Sponsored Links
Nick - if the thin slab is generally dry (they usually are) and the only areas of concern re. damp are the joist trenches, then the fix is:

fill the trenches will concrete - use the bags of ready mixed stuff and pour in dry, it'll go off if the soil is moist.

roll of 4" wide DPM routed below position of new joists then place the joists on top.

build the floor as per the original.

If you've got enough space consider suspending the joists off the base on joist hangers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back