Weak screed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If I google about screed it is said everywhere that I can walk on it after 24-48 hours. My builder said I can walk after 1-2 weeks only, and they may even place some boards on it to spread the load. I've got screed done 12 days ago and it still looks pretty wet. I don't really understand how could it be that the screed (which is essentially sand and cement mix) could take that much to set? I know that to fully set it takes a month roughly, but usually it is quite solid in a couple of days. Is my case normal? Has anyone heard of screeds that take 1-2 weeks to start walking on?

Sponsored Links
Several days normally for walking on, and then a couple of weeks for drying. Put some hardboard down, and turn up the heating and open the windows.

Covered mine with plastic sheeting, the longer it takes to dry the stronger it becomes.

Sponsored Links
I've uploaded a video where the screed is 13 days old.
I can easily dent it with minimal pressure. I have a feeling there is virtually no cement in it. Is it too weak? Is it unacceptable? Are there any regulations re screed strength? Where do I request an official inspection of it? Is it Building Control Officer's responsibility?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back