Weak wifi signal can I use a powerline and pass through adapter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Since changing to now tv for fibre broadband the wifi signal is not very good on my daughters chromebook using either 2.4ghz or 5ghz so can I use a powerline and pass through adapter for my daughters chromebook then use the 2.4ghz channel for my computer.

Sponsored Links
Is it poor signal because she is far away or is it poor signal no matter where? You have not specified anything to do with distance. If it’s a distance problem then yea what you have said should work. If it’s the chromebook only no matter where you are in the house then it may be something else that needs addressing.

Try it. No reason why it wouldn't work unless the socket is on a different circuit, I think. I use a powerline for my pc which gets poor signal from wifi router.

Have you an android mobile phone?
If so get WIFI Analyzer by Farproc https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer

Install this free app on your phone and check your wifi channels use, have a look see if the strongest signals of your neighbours is on the same channel as you, if so figure out how to enter your router admin pages and move the channel to the nearest empty one.
You will probably find that the wifi works a lot better then. :)

Also:

Is the wifi router perhaps sat next to the fridge/freezer - behind the TV etc?
If it's in a sheltered location then the signal will likly be blocked to you - temporarily move it and see if the signal improves (this can be someone holding it in an unblocked position while you run some tests).

Sponsored Links
Is it poor signal because she is far away or is it poor signal no matter where? You have not specified anything to do with distance. If it’s a distance problem then yea what you have said should work. If it’s the chromebook only no matter where you are in the house then it may be something else that needs addressing.
She is in the same room as the router but about 15 feet away. I've taken the chromebook upstairs in the bedroom above the router and the signal stays the same and the only way to get a full signal is to be 1 foot away from the router.

Have you an android mobile phone?
If so get WIFI Analyzer by Farproc https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer

Install this free app on your phone and check your wifi channels use, have a look see if the strongest signals of your neighbours is on the same channel as you, if so figure out how to enter your router admin pages and move the channel to the nearest empty one.
You will probably find that the wifi works a lot better then. :)

Also:

Is the wifi router perhaps sat next to the fridge/freezer - behind the TV etc?
If it's in a sheltered location then the signal will likly be blocked to you - temporarily move it and see if the signal improves (this can be someone holding it in an unblocked position while you run some tests).
The router is sat next to the tv in the living room as this is the only place I can have it. I have this app already installed on my phone and channels 1, 6 and 11 are being used but the one with the strongest signal ( Maybe next door) the channel keeps changing so the router must be set to auto. When I look at the channel rating the best channel could be number 1 with full stars but give it a few seconds and channel 1 could change to 0 stars so how do I know what channel to use.

I used one of these
silvercrest-swv-733-a1-wlan.jpg
from Lidi, when first used it was spot on, moved to another house also worked A1 both cases the Lidi unit was hard wired, then returned to original house with a different ISP and got problems, in the end the broad band was improved and it worked again. However had it not worked twice well I would have blamed unit rather than general broad band signal. All these units will extend the range, but only any good if broad band OK to start with.

Back