Weather bar in groove cut into a flag?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm just in the process of fitting a door to my nice new coal shed to office conversion. However, the actual door is fairly low on height.

Rather than get a custom door made, I'm thinking of cutting a groove into the stone flags that will form the door step (with angle grinder), and putting the weather bar (metal) in there. That will give me a bit of extra height to play with (I cannot go higher as there's only the lintel then wall plate above).

Does that sounds plausible, or a daft idea?

BTW the opening is 1900x830mm.

Cheers
Ferg

Sponsored Links
Think I understand what you mean. The question I have is - suppose rain hits the door and runds down it. When it reaches the weather strip, what will ensure that it gets diverted out away from the door and across the flagstone?.

Hi Dextrous,

thanks for replying.

The flags are (or will be) set to fall, so any rain will drain off them.

Cheers
Ferg

No - I still can't understand what you're trying to do. Any chance of a diagram?

Taking a step back... Take a look at this lot - http://www.bdjoineryltd.co.uk/view_product.php?p=118 . The widest size they do in this model is about 80mm higher than your opening. It might just be possible to lose this much top & bottom. They seem very cheap so it might even be worth giving them a call about a bespoke door. It took me 2 minutes to find this lot so there must be other suppliers worth looking at. Nothing ventured....

Sponsored Links
i assume the door is inward opening if you are using a weather bar underneath?

yes this will be fine if done right - and you seem to understand what's required. the flag you are putting the groove in is higher than the surrounding flags? ie an actual door step? make sure that there is plenty of fall away from the door. think about a blocked gully, your yard flooding etc; seal the weather bar at each end and in the groove.

when you already have a step, this type of solution is better in my opinion than an additional cill as they become a bit of an annoying tripping block.

if you want a draught seal then cut a rebate in the bottom of the door so that there is a section pressing up against the weather bar. leave a 5mm gap and you can put a weatherseal on the door. a saw kerf fitted one like an aquamac 21 is best in my opinion, but self adhesive foam would do as well. (on the door not the weather bar)

No - I still can't understand what you're trying to do. Any chance of a diagram?

This is an ex-brick coal shed, that I am converting into an office. The floor was raised (or rather will be risen) to include a layer of insulation, and so the door step is now 2 courses of bricks, with 2 stone flags on top. Rather than add a further wooden sill to the door, I was thinking of using an angle grinder to cut a groove wide enough to take a metal weather bar. That way any rain that runs down the door and does not run off the doorstep will not run under the door.

Taking a step back... Take a look at this lot - http://www.bdjoineryltd.co.uk/view_product.php?p=118 . The widest size they do in this model is about 80mm higher than your opening. It might just be possible to lose this much top & bottom. They seem very cheap so it might even be worth giving them a call about a bespoke door. It took me 2 minutes to find this lot so there must be other suppliers worth looking at. Nothing ventured....

The opening is the one in the actual brick. So the size must be 1900x830mm including frame. I've tried ringing a few local suppliers, and most are charging a fair whack for a custom door and/or a long lead time. I'm doing this on a real tight budget, AND I'm supposed to be working from it in a month's time :)

Cheers
Ferg

i assume the door is inward opening if you are using a weather bar underneath?

yes this will be fine if done right - and you seem to understand what's required. the flag you are putting the groove in is higher than the surrounding flags? ie an actual door step? make sure that there is plenty of fall away from the door. think about a blocked gully, your yard flooding etc; seal the weather bar at each end and in the groove.

I would not be too sure that I understand ;) There is a fair fall (although done by eye rather than measured. Plus the two stone flags are not actually mortared down yet, so I can add some more with some slates. They are on two courses of bricks higher than the surrounding ground (concrete) and so should be OK I think.

when you already have a step, this type of solution is better in my opinion than an additional cill as they become a bit of an annoying tripping block.

I agree entirely. In fact I have a scar on my forehead where one of those tripped me up a few years ago. Perhaps the cill was not entirely to blame though!

if you want a draught seal then cut a rebate in the bottom of the door so that there is a section pressing up against the weather bar. leave a 5mm gap and you can put a weatherseal on the door. a saw kerf fitted one like an aquamac 21 is best in my opinion, but self adhesive foam would do as well. (on the door not the weather bar)

Good idea. Thank you.

Cheers
Ferg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back