Weather proofing back hardwood door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have a hard wood door which leads into the back garden.

It lets through alot of cold, especially during this time of the year.

Are there ways, in which I could minimise the incoming draft without changing the door.

I was thinking of taking the piece of wood which stops the door (I don't know the name of it.), taking that off and moving it so that I can put in one of those weather strips which you see in double glazing doors.

Please advise on best course of action.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Forget about foam strips - probably the easiest way is to fix Screwfix's 97820 to the outside of the door.
Rubber strips. metal backed, push tightly against the door when it is closed. They are adjustable to some degree and easy to fit.
John :)

Forget about foam strips - probably the easiest way is to fix Screwfix's 97820 to the outside of the door.
Rubber strips. metal backed, push tightly against the door when it is closed. They are adjustable to some degree and easy to fit.
John :)

Thank you for your reply.

I can put that on the bottom. But we have a draft coming from all around the door, not just the bottom. Or are you saying I should put this around the edge of the door so when the door is closed, its sorted of sealed all four edges?

No just the top and sides

isb.jpg

The bottom sill will need a difference excluder, eg,

bds.jpg

or sill excluder type but will need to take a bit of the bottom of the door

01clearway.jpg

allweather.jpg

Sponsored Links
The draughts are probably comeing over the weather bar,use sticky backed draught excluder and put that on the part of the rebate under the door that goes against the weather bar if it is still draughty put a strip on the weather bar but it may be a bit vunerable to getting kicked ,unless your feeling a bit adventurous on the diy front, because it is possible to get a weather bar with draught excluder built on to it,which is probably the best choice but a bit more faffing about

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back