Weatherbar for French doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I must fit a weather-bar to our new french doors before the winter weather comes down.

Two choices really, one is an aluminium extrusion from Stormguard (the 63mm version) and the other is the re-purpose a window cill from a new window that was never fitted in the shed...don't ask!

The Stormguard option is neat, fairly easy to fit but looks out of place on timber doors. It would last forever of course....

If I went for the cut-down cill option, how much projection should I allow and would it be best to screw/glue from the outside, then plug?

This cill has been out in all weathers without any sign of damage, so I assume it's made from decent timber and maybe treated.

Any advice from the carpenters/joiners here?

Sponsored Links
How much clearance is there under the doors presently? ...pinenot

1/4 inch maybe at most....rain blows under and although doors recently painted/sealed, moisture is getting inside and expanding the timber. I think the bar will stop a lot of this.

There's no doubt a properly fitted weather bar would stop the water ingress, but it will also bring with it, a step over which french doors don't normally have. Better in my view would be to fit water shedding nosings to the bottom of the doors and fit a recessed level threshold along the closed door line taking care of the wind blown water. Something like this -

...pinenot :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for this advice.

Anyway, yesterday, I tried out the cutdown window cill I had, but even with a 50mm projection, the weather bar will interfere with opening the doors out flat to the wall. They have large projection hinges to clear the recess, but just not enough to clear the weather bar....

So it's back to the aluminium weather bar, that doesn't project so far and allows the doors to open out flat to the wall.

Even though I don't especially like the look of the ally weather bar, at least it's impervious to weather! On our front door, the weather bar has a mind of it's own in the winter weather it gets, bowing and sticking on the threshold.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back