Weatherproofing old softish bricks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,
Please can anyone recommend a product that would help to seal/weatherproof old imperial bricks? I realise there are several products on the market but are there any that really stand out as being miles better?
I have cleaned over 9,000 of the old bricks from our old house using a scutch hammer and they are real beauties, many with fingerprints in from the making. They fall into three main colour and texture types, two of these categories I'm not worried about as they are very hard and 'glass like' but the reddish orangey ones are quite soft and I feel I should help them a bit by painting or spraying something on to help them shrug off our ghastly climate. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks, C

Sponsored Links
Our climate is not all that ghastly.

The weather conditions that cause bricks to perish occur infrequently but when those conditions do occur, only the weakest exposed bricks suffer.

Make sure that when the house is re-built that you weather strike the joints thoroughly and do not skimp on this part of the build. Good compo (mortar) and good pointing go a long way to preserving the masonry.

If you do want to seal some brickwork make sure it's siloxane based as this allows the walls to breathe. Try and use the softer ones in less exposed areas. It's the freeze/thaw cycles that damage the old bricks. Hard cement pointing on old brickwork with lime mortar joints often causes damage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back