Web site addresses

for my sins i run a "few" websites, there is no definative way to get them to number 1 in google, if there were we would all do it, and then we could not all be number 1
Clearly there is a definitive method, and the people who know it don't give the information away for nothing.

I can tell you it has nothing to do with how many links you have.
Equally clearly you're not one of the people who know.

as far as i can tell, It is to do with "keywords" and the relevance of these keywords, i can also tell you there is x, x is a "formula" that google uses, google make no secret thats how its done, but they aint telling no one what x is (my money is on some bloke who says yes or no)
If this description were marginally better it would reach the standard of the Ladybird books.

But getting the keywords right really does help
I disagree. You're basing that on very out of date information.

I read somewhere that google changed x slightly and a lot of companies that were number one got really upset when they found they were no longer number 1
Peter and Jane's companies, presumably.

Sponsored Links
Well, that really helps the asker of the question,. only slagging someone off and not providing any further info or advice.
How simple

It all depends on you 'guessing' the search string someone will use as a starting point.

I have spent ages working on my sites rankings with google.

If you search for 'gas boiler installer in norwich' I usually come up 1 on page 1. If you search for gas heating installer in norwich, then I drop to 3.

Google tend to change their algorythms approx every 3 months to try to keep the SEO's on their toes and to get more genuine results.

Google did release the fact that they work on 'relevant' links to your site as opposed to any old site have a link to you, such as a general link exchange site.

The keywords in your page title count for a lot, but also keywords in the descriptive body of text. It can also help putting keywords into the code for any pictures on that page. Having a sitemap.xml created and entered into your page code will also help. Bots like reading these. There are many free sitemap creators on the web. You don't have to understand them, I don't :oops: as they are automatic.

If the bots find that you are trying to fool them, such as filling the page with keywords in the same colour as the background, you will get penalised or even removed from the rankings.

You also need to make sure that you have the code on your home page (index.html usually) to tell the bot to look at all your pages.

It can be a long and time consuming process and take up to 8 weeks for results to appear and just when the results happen google moves the goal posts again :mad:

Good luck ;)

Sponsored Links
Well, that really helps the asker of the question,. only slagging someone off and not providing any further info or advice.
It's a fair comment. I was indeed having a go at Breezer, and it was probably (on this occasion) out of proportion to the degree of crapness of his advice.

That aside, a certain amount of reading-between-the-lines was required to glean the information I intended to convey.

BTW, gas4you's post was informative, helpful, and, more importantly of all, accurate.

tonybhoy said:
Par for the course with this one,unfortunately.
Oh, do tell.

Dave, I agree with a lot your stating. Nowadays a domain-name that has been 'going' for a few years gets more 'points' from google than a brand new domain name.

One thing I don't really understand in your comment is that about the code for bots. I know there is a specific code for 'stopping' the bots and spiders indexing a page (one you don't want on the search results, like a page where your visitors can download stuff - on a none-membership site) but normally the bots and spiders index everything they can get there hands on, even PDF files on your server.

Get a google account and use the webmaster tools to upload your sitemap and the analytics tool to see who, how and where people are accessing your site.

Edit: some piccys in my profile

For Search Engine Optimisation SEO, I use a free tool available here with this software you can see how your site ranks throughout the many search engines available (amoungst other things) given your selected search criteria.

WYL; You maybe right, I'm certainly no expert, trial and error and research on the internet is all I know.

I always have a robots.txt file in the top level of my site telling all bots to go everywhere on my site.

robots.txt =

User-agent: *
Disallow:

This guarantees they will look everywhere ;)

That's new to me ;)
I do know that google bots and other spiders normally check all available pages and files that are 'online' anyway as long as the 'block bots' code isn't there.
But if it works for you, it works and I wouldn't change it if I were you.

I don't know if you are still watching this thread Tony. Could you drop me an email ********** please, there is something I'd like to discuss off the forum.

Sponsored Links
Back