Wedge jack / screw jack / levelling wedge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, hoping someone can help. I’m looking for something that I think should exist for general DIY, but having trouble finding something to actually buy.

I’m after what I think should be called a wedge jack / screw jack / levelling wedge etc. A jack type tool that can be used in a small space (<50mm) to lift something up using a screwdriver or allen key (something that easily tightened in a small space) to a required level and leave in place.

I’ve found a few drawings and which I think are concept or ideas for 3D printing which look like they might work. The photos are for very expensive precision jacks. If anyone know anything existing and readily available (and not too pricey!) that’s like this or that would do the same job I’d be really gratefully for some help.

Cheers
Dan

Attachments

• d1wif8t-d1a7fe25-f670-4f41-8b22-8b55fb0f8a58.jpg
    d1wif8t-d1a7fe25-f670-4f41-8b22-8b55fb0f8a58.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 124
  • dynabrade_60205_hr.jpg
    dynabrade_60205_hr.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 100
  • precision-leveling-wedges-500x500.jpg
    precision-leveling-wedges-500x500.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 82
  • Unknown.jpeg
    Unknown.jpeg
    8.9 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replys! It needs to be able to get in a gap and force two bits of woods apart a bit so need something a bit more solid.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply! It needs to be able to get in a gap and force two bits of woods apart a bit so need something a bit more solid.
They are surprisingly robust, the ones listed above can lift (spread) up to 100kg.

Winbags are stronger than you might think. One will lift 100Kg. They fit in a gap only a few mm wide. You can use more than one at a time. They will move doors, windows, kitchen units etc.

What are you trying to lift?

Cab you access it from both sides, if yes you could just hammer in two timber wedges(cheese shaped) from either side and chisel away the excess.

Winbag and wedging might be a good back up, thanks for the info everyone.

What I want to do is jack up the very end of of an acrylic bath. I've fitted it perfectly level, tiled, shower screen etc - first shower and water is settling where the bath meets the wall. I can only think the bath warped slightly from being stored upright for a year! My first idea was to take out the grout where it meets the bath at the end of the bath and 100mm down the side. I hope then to be able to reach under the bath through the access panel and put in a couple of these mythical jacks between the support timber and end of bath to see if I can force it up 1 or 2mm and pray that it helps. Obviously sounds a bit sketch typing it out now haha but can't really think of another solution at the moment.

If you can get access, a pair of wedges ( as above) coming from either side, the sloping surfaces together, you could use a G clamp or bar clamp to squeeze them together?

if it’s a tiny amount, just a shim like material might do?
Even something like a decorator’s knife hammered between the floor and frame?

Opposing wedges are used in damage control on warships. Very strong and robust not sure I would use them to “straighten” an acrylic bath though. If you do you may need to check them from time to time or get a couple of screws or dogs (like bloo*y great big staples) to hold them in place.

Thanks @Tigercubrider yeah, thinking about it now, maybe I could just carefully try wedging the actual 3mm edge part of the bath or the plastic block under the rim. Possibly a single wedge and then hold it in place as Old Salt suggested (if I can get enough access).
@Old Salt Thank you, yes not an ideal situation or solution, I'm just hoping just a mm or two will not be catastrophic.

What I want to do is jack up the very end of of an acrylic bath.

Surely the bath has screw-down legs that you can wind up and down with a spanner to adjust the height?

Mine do.

Thanks @JohnD, yes it has the adjustable legs, but its perfectly level at the moment and I don't want to affect the bath draining by lifting one end. It's also all tiled in so I'm hoping just to 'flex' the end shelf slightly, bath still in place, to get the standing water to run off

Baths are not that heavy so surely if you lift it from the edge, it will just lift one of the feet off the floor and achieve the same thing as just raising that foot?

That said I'd lift it with one of those air bags, and then put in a shim of some kind, like the plastic ones used for double glazing windows etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back