Wedge jack / screw jack / levelling wedge

The term people seem to have missed is "folding wedges" (referred to as opposed wedges, etc here). These are knocked into place with two hammers, and if you need them to be permanent can be glued together or simply spiked with a ruddy big nail. I've used big hardwood ones with 6 x 6in posts to jack-up floor beams in Victorian buildings and delicate little softwood ones to straighten up Jacobean oak panelling. The main thing is that they need to be an identical pair, so you either need a mitre saw and a home-made squaring piece to cut them (smaller ones) or a circular saw/bandsaw and a mitre fence or home made jig to make them.

I'd be careful about using them on something like acrylic, though - maybe consider using one or more Winbags to reposition (a pair of these will easily lift a 100kg solid oak door), then just glue a pair in place with GripFil or the like. Or consider using expanding foam instead (inside a plastic bag). Remove the Winbags afterwards

You can buy ready made (serrated) furniture levelling wedges froom the likes of Toolstation or Screwfix which give from 1 to 15mm or so packing. They carry 100 to 150kg a pair, I think

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Baths are not that heavy so surely if you lift it from the edge, it will just lift one of the feet off the floor and achieve the same thing as just raising that foot?

That said I'd lift it with one of those air bags, and then put in a shim of some kind, like the plastic ones used for double glazing windows etc.
I was thinking if you lift the bath from one end, however you do it, it could mean the water will not drain to the plughole well enough. I'm just wanting to 'flex' up just the shelf, and keep the bath in place, with the aim of making the water sitting on the shelf run into the bath.

Even something like a decorator’s knife hammered between the floor and frame?

I buy those from the poundshop for a quid. From memory you get 5 in a pack. I don't like using them and treat them as disposable.

Sponsored Links
Further to wot I woz saying earlier, these are the sort of packers I was thinking about:

Tapered Wedge Packer.png

but the more common furniture wedge packer (used singly) is this type (from Hafele?):

Tapered Furniture Packer Hafele 001.png

Tapered Furniture Packer Hafele 002.gif

Both are easier to use than sawn tapers and more durable than very small wooden tapers

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Hydraulic Body kit.

Or probably available to hire.
Use the wedge adaptor.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back