Weed fabric

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am laying and compacting sub base in my garden before laying paving sand. I have a heavy duty puncture resistant weed fabric. Most people seem to recommend putting the weed fabric above the sub-base after it has been compacted. I was thinking of putting it below the sub-base to be more effective. Is there any problems with laying weed fabric below the sub-base? other than the risk of it puncturing?

Sponsored Links
If its for a Patio then you don't need a membrane. End of story. Anyone who tells you otherwise is wrong. If you have a problem with weeds growing through you have done a poor job on the base.

Sponsored Links
:confused: am i missing something? dont quite understand the crystal balls comment. is it supposed to be a comment indicating dislike of artificial grass?

I would put it between sub base and sand. Don't think it will actually do anything though as weeds can still grow in the sand!

:confused: am i missing something? dont quite understand the crystal balls comment. is it supposed to be a comment indicating dislike of artificial grass?
He means he (we) had to guess at what you were preparing the surface for, since you didn't say in your original message.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back