What to use under my deck?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,
I’m having my first attempt at building a raised deck in the garden. It sits between 20-40cm off the ground (sloped garden). My support posts are all in and now I’m laying the weed suppressing fabric. What I want to know is if I can just use any old ballast and sub base that’s lying around on top of it? Or is it essential to use gravel as is suggested on most websites?

What are people’s thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I have just finished something very similar and used cheap pea gravel.
0DC332AC-131F-42FD-B4E8-5CBC46190125.jpeg
479A8939-66C3-45DD-B411-022740537342.jpeg
91C9997E-1F10-4666-9193-7516841B9AC8.jpeg

Thanks, getting hold of material has been a challenge! To be honest this is only the second deck I’ve laid as a diyer, my idea was to use pea gravel to stop water pooling. On the first deck I did I just used weed matting. Out of the two I’d go for sub base, ballast may hold water.

Sponsored Links
You need to make sure it’s something no plant can grow in. Pea gravel is good. Ballast may just hold enough organically and moisture for weeds to take hold. I’d go big size as once weeds take hold under a deck it’s a pain in the a***

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back