1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

What to use under my deck?

Discussion in 'In the Garden' started by Ixer, 6 Jun 2020.

1. Ixer

Ixer

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hello all,
    I’m having my first attempt at building a raised deck in the garden. It sits between 20-40cm off the ground (sloped garden). My support posts are all in and now I’m laying the weed suppressing fabric. What I want to know is if I can just use any old ballast and sub base that’s lying around on top of it? Or is it essential to use gravel as is suggested on most websites?

What are people’s thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

2. Marcr2712

Marcr2712

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I have just finished something very similar and used cheap pea gravel.
    0DC332AC-131F-42FD-B4E8-5CBC46190125.jpeg 479A8939-66C3-45DD-B411-022740537342.jpeg 91C9997E-1F10-4666-9193-7516841B9AC8.jpeg

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Sponsored Links
  4. Ixer

Ixer

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    That looks great!
    The issue I’m having is getting hold of enough pea gravel to complete the task and wondered if the ballast or sub base would be suitable alternatives?

5. Marcr2712

Marcr2712

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks, getting hold of material has been a challenge! To be honest this is only the second deck I’ve laid as a diyer, my idea was to use pea gravel to stop water pooling. On the first deck I did I just used weed matting. Out of the two I’d go for sub base, ballast may hold water.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Sponsored Links
  7. Halitosis

Halitosis

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You need to make sure it’s something no plant can grow in. Pea gravel is good. Ballast may just hold enough organically and moisture for weeds to take hold. I’d go big size as once weeds take hold under a deck it’s a pain in the a***

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local