Weeping compression fitting on shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just retiled my bathroom.

With hindsight I should have replaced the copper tails for the shower since the tails looked a bit knarly and the old olives had to be cut off. I was unfortunately more focused on the tiling job ahead of me.

Anyway tiles are up. The construction is metal stud work with tanked aqua-panel then tiles.

The shower tray has upstands and is siliconed to the wall with the tiling into the tray.

What are my options for replacing the copper tails so I can have nice, new, smooth copper that is also straight (cold feed angles down slightly) and won't leak?

Do I have no choice but to rip out the tiles and tray to replace the copper and then retile.

I'm dreading it. I'm off on holiday tomorrow and the thought is ruining it for me. I've half a mind to send the wife and kids without me while I get started ripping the whole lot out!

valve.JPG

copper.JPG

EDIT: I should add that the copper runs in a downward direction in the void and then comes out beneath the shower tray (which is raised) before going down under the floor. There are lever valves beneath the tray for the pipes so I've just turned the shower supply off from there at the moment.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If you cant access it from the rear, and you want to replace them, then the tiles will have to come off. I've seen worse tails though.

Might be an occasion for trying Fernox LS-X as a get out of jail free card.

Clean and degrease meticulously before use and don't use too much, you don't want any excess clogging the mixer.

Use copper olives, not brass.

At least with your hols you can give it plenty of time to cure!

Edit: a light smear under/on the olives, not on the threads.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
go away on holiday mate ,chill out and relax ,tiling looks real good . all you need to do is clean up the copper pipes. if they are worse than pics show any half decent plumber can sort them in half an hour.

I'm considering using CT1 on the olives as a last chance Hail Mary move. If that fails then off the tiles come :(

Will deal with when I get back from holiday.

Cheers all.

What's actually wrong with the copper? If it hasn't been over-compressed (necked),and it's watertight then just give it a good clean up with some 120grit paper, then a green scourer to polish. Use new copper olives and tighten equally and all should be ok.

Worst case then use PTFE tape, cord or thread lock, don't use that silicone adhesive, that's a waste of time. .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back