Fitting new shower tray - a few questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning

Ok so my old shower enclosure and tray are out.

The old tray was 760mm x 760mm x 55mm and was recessed into the plaster board wall and then tiled down to it.

A few questions.

1. Do I have to tile down to and recess the shower tray or can I leave the tiles on the wall and install a bigger tray maybe 90mm - then seal it directly onto the tiles?

2. If number 1 isn't possible and I buy another 55mm tray I've a couple of concerns.

A. The copper pipe shown in the picture looks slightly crushed where the previous owner and forced the tray in - opinions?

B. also on the far wall also in the pictures it looks like the concrete so not sure how they managed to recess the tray.

3. Can you get trays that don't have to be recessed into the wall?

4. The tray was installed directly onto the floor boards - I am sure that now how it should be done - I think I need some sort of plywood base but does it need to be a special type.

5. Do you have to use mortaring low profile bases 45\55mm and same question for larger bases

6. Are the plumbing riser kits any good

Shower space - I need a 760mm shower tray best options?

Copper pipe in recess looks slightly crushed

recess in wall with what looks like cement in the recess?

Thanks in advance

Ian.

Sponsored Links
1. Do I have to tile down to and recess the shower tray or can I leave the tiles on the wall and install a bigger tray maybe 90mm - then seal it directly onto the tiles?

You can but if you don`t tile over tray, and you fit directly onto tiles and seal, the problem you may have is movement in tray breaking seal and leaking.Always best to fit tray then tile over it, then seal. You can always knock bottom layer of tiles off,fit tray then re-tile to it. ;)

A. The copper pipe shown in the picture looks slightly crushed where the previous owner and forced the tray in - opinions?

Well, it`s not great, but if it`s not leaking and not affecting shower, if indeed it is the shower feed, leave it alone. If you are competent to replace, then replace it.Depends how skilled and brave you feel. :LOL:

3. Can you get trays that don't have to be recessed into the wall?

A lot of trays are simply flat without a lip on top and can be fitted directly to tiled wall.

4. The tray was installed directly onto the floor boards - I am sure that now how it should be done - I think I need some sort of plywood base but does it need to be a special type.

Depends on state of floor, you can fit straight on to floorboards if level. But can you access shower trap if you get a blockage/leak? Is there the required fall on your waste pipe to internal/external stack if you fit it to floor? It`s not as straightforward as you may think.

5. Do you have to use mortaring low profile bases 45\55mm and same question for larger bases

I could answer that if i knew what you meant. :LOL:

6. Are the plumbing riser kits any good

Depends on which one you buy, more you pay, usually the better the quality. On your 3rd picture down, what you are seeing is a wall made from breeze blocks,lot of internal unsupporting walls are made like this, then plastered over.

At PlumbingServices.

Thank you for advice really appreciate it...

Ian..

Sponsored Links
I'd be concerned at the two cables running next to the pipework (assuming that 's what they are) - one of them look to be chaffed

Just an update really we finally managed to get the new tray in place

Bought a 95mm Tray from BnQ old tray was 55mm so didn't need to worry about the recess - We used put 6mm Hardibacker Board in the end on top of the floor boards as I am going to tile the floor so seated the tray to that using Stick like SH*t.

Then used silicon around the tray directly onto the tiles

Had to reroute the trap and waste - but got there in the end :)

Thanks Again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back