re-fitting shower tray

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My sister-in-law has asked me to re-do her shower room for her. I've done this in my own house but her current shower tray fits into a recess which is too wide for the tray. To compensate for this, whoever fitted it has built a shelf with tiles at the level of the tray to cover the gap. The tiles are stuck onto a rather flimsy peice of wood and its not been particularly well done and because of this was leaking.
Anyone got any ideas of a better way of doing this ie. filling the gap between shower tray and the wall or would it be better to narrow the recess to the size of the tray - problem with narrowing the recess would be that the electric shower is attached to the this wall.
I would prefer not to have to fit a new shower tray and I dont think I could get one to match the width of the recess anyway.

Sponsored Links
the problem you have if you do not make the recess smaller will stay with you,,, your better off building a false wall from studwork and bringing the shower to it,, if its an electric shower its only one feed? what size is the recess at present ie width?

the problem you have if you do not make the recess smaller will stay with you,,, your better off building a false wall from studwork and bringing the shower to it,, if its an electric shower its only one feed? what size is the recess at present ie width?

The shower tray is 800cm and the width of recess is probably nearer 900cm - however I think a 900cm tray might be too big front to back for the recess

Sponsored Links
I am sure I have seen 800x900 trays in the big orange shed about £40 stone resin, do not be tempted for acrylic foam filled units.
Pete

sheds a different light on it,,, resource a showwer tray to fit,, easier than stud walls etc,,, be sure to finish 'over the lip' on the tray this will eliminate your problem of leaks,, mastic to finish of course..

Wow, what an excellent forum this is! Thanks for all your help - I will measure and see if I can get an 800 * 900 tray. This seems by far the best solution.
I always have used Dow Corning 785 silicone sealant for any work I have done and it has served me very well - it was recommended to me by the plumbers merchants. Is there a better one?
Thanks,
Decho

The BAL antibacterial silicone matches it in performance with the extra additive to prevent mould forming.

Pete

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back