Weeping HW coil fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there any compound or washer that I can use to re-bed a weeping coil fitting?

I can create good access to it & have cleaned it thoroughly but still weeps when tightened. Seems to be seeping out from the flange nut thread area rather than the skirt where I thought most likely.

Does plumbing have an equivalent to RTV gasket sealant as used in car engines etc?

Also, what size is the nut likely to be?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Are you talking about the heating coil in a hot water cylinder?

The seal should be INSIDE the cylinder between the coil flange and between the inside of the cylinder.

In theory you could drain and push the spligot back into the cylinder and fit a new seal. Perhaps not so easy in practice.

The RTV used for engines is the best thing to use. But it seems the problem may be a failed seal.

Most would buy a new cylinder!

Tony

But I`d weave a hemp grommet - and smear that with RTV - take the backnut right off and put it behind the nut on the outside of the cylinder ;) The loctite string didn`t work then .

Sponsored Links
Agile, thanks for constructive advice.
In some ways it would be easier to buy a new cylinder, providing it was a straight swap but there'd also be lots of pipework to butcher to get it out and...

I'm doing this for someone as a favour, on a practically zero budget. I have time but not much money at present so having an attempt at trying to reseat it could well be worth the fiddling around for a few hours.

You mentioning the inside seal made me think of Essex flange washers - these are EPDM & probably worth trying 1st

Failing that, as long is there is no reason why RTV sealant is inappropriate it looks worth a try.
Cheers

But I`d weave a hemp grommet - and smear that with RTV - take the backnut right off and put it behind the nut on the outside of the cylinder ;) The loctite string didn`t work then .

Nige, Loctite did the trick on the Surrey Flange etc. This I noticed whilst rummaging around the cylinder. Tried it with Loctite but it needs a bigger spread than the string would give - like a grommet or washer.Putting the RTV on something makes sense, but I think I'll try Essex flange washers first.

After my 1st try, the flow if any, is almost imperceptible so I'm leaving it for a few days to dry the foam out as I can only feel it when the cylinder is back in place. Though I suspect I'll need to revisit it.
Cheers

[After my 1st try, the flow if any, is almost imperceptible so I'm leaving it for a few days to dry the foam out Cheers
Leave it - it`ll be fine , many leaks like that seal up :idea:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back