Weight capacity of wooden joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m looking into buying a recording booth to put into my home studio in a first floor flat. The booths I’m looking at weigh from 611kg up to 886kg (138x175cm) and I’d like to know if my floor can take that kind of weight.

The wooden floor joists are 370cm long, 5cm thick, 15.5cm wide and 40cm apart, meaning the booth will be sitting on roughly 4 joists, and will be situated in the corner where the joists meet a supporting wall.

I have a heavy-ish large table, a sofa bed and a bunch of recording equipment in the room, and will have usually no more than three people in the room at a time.

Is there any danger at all of the floor not being able to hold all of this weight? Anyone who has experience with this kind of thing would be much appreciated.

I’ve attached a floor plan below.

Plan-view-of-studio-room-general.jpg

Sponsored Links
The floor won't 'collapse', but there might be slightly excessive deflection which could affect a plaster ceiling below.
You will also be near the maximum shear stress allowed where the joists go into the wall below the booth.

havent got a clue but suspect you may need permission off the leaseholder fro such a heavy load
also there are noise requirements that may preclude you going above a certain level
by noise level i mean your not allowed wooden floors as they are far to noisy compared to carpet

Thanks a lot for the replies. I didn't think it would collapse, but as you say, possibly do some damage to the ceiling underneath and possibly bend the joists after a while.

As fas as permission goes, I'm all good on that front luckily, and noise-wise I'm hoping this booth will reduce noise rather than create it :) Putting it together won't be a loud job, as the booth parts I'm looking to get won't require too much machinery/banging, if anything I can do it in the garden.

Looks like it may possibly be a little too heavy though...

Sponsored Links
You could add joists between the ones you already have if you lift the floor boards.

I did have a little think about that, but I don't think it'd be worth it in the long run as I may be moving in a couple of years, plus the vocal booth itself would already be maxing out my budget (they are pretty pricey).

just a thought
does it come in panels small and light enough to be man handled up stairs and through doors as a 6ft6 door may not be as restrictive as a stairwell and round a corner

Yes, the booth I'm looking at comes in panels, sort of big thin bricks... It's called studiobricks, you assemble it once you take all the pieces to the set-up point. The door is apparently the heaviest part.

Just thought I'd post my findings here. I've consulted a structural engineer and his analysis of the existing joists in accordance with the requirements of the timber design code (BS 5268-2:2002) concluded that they have insufficient capacity to support the resultant loads from even a small 434kg booth. He said that "unfortunately we require to satisfy the loading and timber design code requirements". So I guess I'll have to wait until I move and find a place with stronger floors (it's not worth it to reinforce my current floor if I'm moving in a few years). Thanks a lot to everyone that helped out in this thread, it is much appreciated!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back