Reinforced floor.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

This is a bit of a strange one. I'm looking at putting a heavy vocal recording booth into a modern house. Ideally in a spare bedroom on the first floor.

The house is 20 years old. Chipboard sheet flooring.

The booth weight would be 576kg, plus me inside it, covering a space of about 1.9sqm (1.4m x 1.4m). I'm guessing the floor couldn't cope with that, and wondering what kind of work would need to be done to strengthen the floor, how it might work, and the potential cost.

(The ground floor is suspended floor too, and doesn't have the space to accommodate. The only other option is build an extension!)

Can anyone advise please if it's possible or non-starter?

Cheers

Tony

Sponsored Links
I think sir will be requiring a structural engineer to advise. Clue- current building regs suggest that in a domestic environment 50-75 kg/sq m is appropriate. If you've got real walls on 2 opposite sides of the room then putting a superstructure above the existing floor probably wouldn't be massively pricey...

Floor joists in a modern house generally allow for a uniform load of approx 150 kg/m². Your booth (minus your own weight) would be approximately double that. It's quite possible that the floor wouldn't collapse, but there would be considerable deflection, which would damage the ceiling below.
Personally, I'd forget it.

Agree with the guys above, anything is possible of you have the money, call an SE, explain what you want and your budget and let them advise if it is possible. Maybe a supper structure or even extra support below if you can handle the aesthetics

Sponsored Links
Design something that uses the walls for support, not the floor

Thanks for all the replies. It was an idea... Sounds like back to the drawing board. Thanks again!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back