Weird artefacts in two of my Windows, what is it?

Softcoat planitherm doesn't tend to rust , just goes incredibly cloudy and horrible to look at ( ee left a bit outside for six months to test lol )
As goes the guarantee, it will depend on the manufacturers guarantee...but if you have prove of where it was purchased and when then I'd like to think a decent manufacturer would honour the warranty, as its clearly a manufacturing defect

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I know where it was purchased from. And the date… November 2024.

So can’t hurt to ask I guess!

Hopefully Nov 23 ... unless you've mastered time travel lol ... just me being me , no malice meant ...

And knowing that was the date pretty much confirms to me it's Planitherm on the wrong way round and therefore a manufacturing defect

Haha, If I could time travel I wouldn’t care for wrongly installed windows.

Oh that’s interesting, Why does this confirm your suspicion?

Sponsored Links
This is a long shot. Any chance that the glass had a protective film on them and installers forgot to remove it from those two.

It confirms my suspicion due to the amount of time passed for it to be showing like it is with just being exposed to the air .... if someone had touched the planitherm surface without gloves the fingerprints would turn up in days but just air takes longer, and a broken down sealed unit is unlikely to happen within 8 months

This is a long shot. Any chance that the glass had a protective film on them and installers forgot to remove it from those two.
An incredibly long shot and highly unlikely, don't know of any manufacturer that would waste time and money putting a film on , most use ' transport pads ' to stop scratching

over here, units with self cleaning glass and solar glass units can and do have a temporary protective film on outer pane that is removed after exterior plaster or painting etc is finished. I.m just looking at a pic. A razor blade will prove me wrong in a few seconds, but no harm checking

over here, units with self cleaning glass and solar glass units can and do have a temporary protective film on outer pane that is removed after exterior plaster or painting etc is finished. I.m just looking at a pic. A razor blade will prove me wrong in a few seconds, but no harm checking
Thanks I’ll try tomorrow morning.

It confirms my suspicion due to the amount of time passed for it to be showing like it is with just being exposed to the air .... if someone had touched the planitherm surface without gloves the fingerprints would turn up in days but just air takes longer, and a broken down sealed unit is unlikely to happen within 8 months

You may be right. Just tried a thermal camera on them off the back of your hunch. The one with the artifacts is a full degree c cooler. (Darker = colder on this camera)

20240514T001543.jpeg

It will be cooler as the planitherm surface is damaged/degraded due to it being on the outside. I will be very very surprised if that is residue from a ' film '.

You may be right. Just tried a thermal camera on them off the back of your hunch. The one with the artifacts is a full degree c cooler. (Darker = colder on this camera)

View attachment 343048
A very nice idea, to use the IR camera :)
Although take care of how you interpret the results. As glass is reflective to IR, you're not really seeing the right window as 1 degree cooler.
You are seeing that the right window has higher emissivity than than the left one - i.e. it is less reflective to IR.
Which, given that the whole point of the Planitherm coating is to reduce emissivity, is another fairly good pointer to a failed coating!

I'm sure this is likely a stupid suggestion. But could this issue be rectified if I have someone swap the 2 pieces around, so the inside pane goes to the outside and vice versa? Or do i definitely need new units?

thanks again

Just wanted to say thanks for the input and help on this one guys. Thanks to this I was able to clearly explain the problem with the supplier. They’ve agreed the mistake is with them and will rectify next Tuesday.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back