Weird braking problem that solved itself…

It's not the wear mate, its the rust and delamination from friction material to backplate that caught my eye.
John :)

Sponsored Links
It's not the wear mate, its the rust and delamination from friction material to backplate that caught my eye.
John :)
Yeah, looks like it’s been on the car for 15 years! The heat build up must have done that. Weird thing was, although I knew it was slightly binding, I never felt any dragging or smelt anything after a run. Mind you, it is literally used for very local trips - taking the dog to a local park 7 miles, allotment duties 2 miles and a bit of shopping in the local supermarket 2 miles.

In fact, we have a very shallow incline to our street and sometimes I park outside my neighbours house when a station parker is outside mine but I usually move it back outside mine later in the evening. I don’t even bother starting it - I just let the handbrake off and it rolls forward.

Last edited:
In fact, we have a very shallow incline to our street and sometimes I park outside my neighbours house when a station parker is outside mine but I usually move it back outside mine later in the evening. I don’t even bother starting it - I just let the handbrake off and it rolls forward.
Just been out to move it and, err, it rolls a lot quicker now! :ROFLMAO:

Without wanting to tell you how to suck eggs, make sure you change the brake fluid too. If it boiled from a sticky caliper its got water in it.

Glad you've fixed the problem :)

Sponsored Links
Without wanting to tell you how to suck eggs, make sure you change the brake fluid too. If it boiled from a sticky caliper its got water in it.

Glad you've fixed the problem :)
Yeah, I am going to do that. We've had the car getting on for 10 years now and never changed it. When I fitted the caliper I only had half a litre of brake fluid left and not much time and as it’s getting a full service and a couple of tyres in the next few weeks, I’ll bleed it right through then. When I do a brake fluid change, I always remove the brake fluid reservoir and wash that out at the same time.

Back