Weird one...

You only need 6 mm wide strip of newspaper.

If you are worried about it getting stuck in your discharge pipe then tape each end of it !

Tony

Sponsored Links
Just as I was going to bed last night, I heard the familiar blast of water “somewhere”, so went up stairs and stuck my finger in the tundish thingy… bone dry. So I guess it’s not that.

Then, thinking of what somebody said earlier, I decided to check all toilets for dribbling into the bowl. Naturally I suspected the one I’d done recently. What I do is stick a sheet of bogroll to the back of the pan – if any water’s running down, you can see it immediately. If it doesn’t stick, there isn’t…

Little downstairs WC cupboard (the one I did a few weeks ago) – bone dry. En-suite in my room – same. Upstairs main bathroom, where nobody ever goes, and which was done about a year ago… is trickling slightly FFS.

Now, I’ve checked my fill valves, and definitely fill progressively, in proportion to the height of the float.. BUT it would seem if the water level drops slowly enough (as it does in this case) the float can kind of stick for a while, then suddenly drop, causing the sudden rush of water.

At least that’s what I assume. So thanks to all who helpfully pointed me in that direction.

I notice that all these valve and things fill up with quite gritty lime scale very quickly, as the water’s hard round here, and I’m guessing that doesn’t help the various valves and things to seal. So are these magnetic gadgets people stick on their main riser pipes any good, or would you have to believe in fairies to fit one?

Thanks again :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back