Weird stretchy paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

We've stripped off the wallpaper from the kitchen wall and found a stretchy kind of paint underneath, feels plastic-like. It got off from most of the wall with the wall paper, but there's still parts when it's on a bit of a night-mare to remove as comes of in little tiny bits. So, my questions are:

- What is this paint? Does it has a purpose (i.e. protect against damp)?
- Can we paint over it or should we remove it all?
- Any tips on how to remove easily?

Many thanks good people!

Sponsored Links
Difficult to say at this time, could be some form vinyl, that has become reativated throu the wallpaper removal.

Only way to define your problem would be to see it, would it be possible for you to post some pics.

Dec

Thanks Dec - it does look/feels like vinyl.
Trying to attach a pic. It looks like Tue wall has been painted (the red dot), then plastered, then comes this purple vinyl stuff, and on top the wallpaper we've removed.
M

It wouldn't surprise me if it is the results of combined PVA and paint as this gives an easily peelable rubbery texture. It certainly hasn't adhered to the wall very well.

Sponsored Links
I take that the darker image in your pic is bare plaster skim, what I think has happened here is two fold. Either the vinyl was applied directly to the skim without a mist coat being applied, or the painting of vinyl onto vinyl without the correct prep.

If my assumption is correct the use of either warm water or steamer would not have only reactivated the paste solution but also the poorly applied paint system. This then would have caused the lot to come as one and this is where your problem arises.

So now you are left with a very unstable paint system that needs to be removed, the advice I will give you now often causes two trades to colide.

With careful use of a wallpaper steamer soften the coating and remove with a scraper, remember careful use you don't want to damage the plaster.

Dec

Thanks Dec, the darker bit is the purple vinyl stuff, the lighter is the plaster. Is there a reason to use this vinyl? We thought to use regular paint straight on the plaster, is that ok?
We've been steaming but using fingers to remove as using the scraper seemed to damage the plaster.
Many thanks!
Thunderette

Well if that is plaster skim, you really have been a little naughty with that steamer. Yet more like the actual plasterer did'nt do his job very well.

Pop this post on the plasterers forum for thier advice, and come back on here before you redecorate.

Dec

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back