Welded switch!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the middle of re-fitting our bathroom and started yesterday by removing the airing cupboard doors and frame. In the airing cupboard there was a small switch (looked like a light switch) that I hadn't really noticed before, even though we have been in the house for 12 years!

I tried to operate the switch to see what it did and it was completely jammed solid. It was then I noticed the 6mm sq. cable going to it and realised it must be a switch to isolate the shower!

I quickly turned off the power and took the cover off the switch and my fears were proven - it was the shower switch and the contacts inside were welded closed. The wire insulation was blackened and brittle. God knows how long it had been like that! It was only a 20Amp switch!

To make matters worse the whirlpool bath supply was taken from the live side of the switch as well!

So it could have been a disaster caused by someone elses DIY!

I may send the switch to the previous owner of our house with a nice letter thanking him for trying to burn the house down!

Sponsored Links
So we assume the previous owner was a complete burke, it may have been the occupants previous!. Whats the point of sending the switch to him apart for stirring up trouble, obviously you're angry, but just put it down to experience. Next time you purchase a property why not get the electrics checked out first. After all it's the most expensive thing you wil probably ever purchase and it is 'buyer beware'

Agree with nstreet here. Sending the switch to the previous owner would achieve little and they may not be responsible.

Just repair all the damage by removing any damaged cable, and replace the switch with a 45A one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back