Well and truly blocked sewer in 1912 house...

Glad you got it sorted, certainly a relief im sure. Those wipes are a proverbial pain in the backside, they dont dissolve, and end up causing no end of hassles before blocking the screens at the sewage works.....

Sounds like a normal inspection chamber, brick built with a channel in the base. The interceptor trap will be in the last chamber before the main sewer exits to the road, my house is in a row of about 30, we share a common sewer along the rear, with each house connecting at 45 degrees to it, again, no chambers until it turns 90 degrees at the end of the row to enter the road. (Also where our interceptor is located.)

Sounds like it was a fair distance from the house with 13 rods needed. Possible there is a bad joint at that point that the wipes were catching on, eventually they build up to block the pipe. Hopefully if you keep them out the drains now there may not be any further occurances.

My advice now is wait and see, any further probs may indicate a fault in the pipes, could be worth getting a CCTV survey at that stage to see whats going on. However, fingers crossed (and no wipes!) you may be ok. The Victorians were quite accomplished drain layers, its done over 100 years of service so far!

Sponsored Links
is it one of those low flush toilets?

i used to live in a 1880s house with very high shallow run drains, after fitting a new low flush toilet, you know, one with the two button flushes.

after a few months and saving water by flushing with single button, which worked well for most tissue...the drains got blocked with tissue, as it wasnt getting flushed away fully.

happened again 6 months later with new tennant that i forgot to mention it too..

:oops:

It may be worth you while installing a rodding point, or replacing the gully with a plastic one which has a removable section for easier rodding. Other than than, may be worth getting a pressure washer and a drain jet pipe to routinely clean it out (maybe once a quarter).

hi,sorry to hijack but does the above mentioned plastic gully with the removable section for easier rodding have a proper name and where would i obtain one? anyone have a picture of one? reason for asking is that my inspection chamber is in next door's garden (25-30 metres away) and the drain from there to my gully has a T half way along it making rodding impossible. many thanks

Sponsored Links
It may be worth you while installing a rodding point, or replacing the gully with a plastic one which has a removable section for easier rodding. Other than than, may be worth getting a pressure washer and a drain jet pipe to routinely clean it out (maybe once a quarter).

hi,sorry to hijack but does the above mentioned plastic gully with the removable section for easier rodding have a proper name and where would i obtain one? anyone have a picture of one? reason for asking is that my inspection chamber is in next door's garden (25-30 metres away) and the drain from there to my gully has a T half way along it making rodding impossible. many thanks
Try this

Available in BQ, Wickes as well as most building/plumbing merchants

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back