Welted Drip dilema and PVC Facia

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to finish the edges on a flat roof on a loft conversion, on the sides of the roof I will have arris rail fixed to 18mm ply, beneath this will be 18mm PVC Facia board

I'm unsure whether to create a proper welted drip here, or as I have seen on some builds the Mineral cap sheet is simply draped/overlapped down the facia and then tacked using galv nails.

My concern is if I try torching any of this (rather than tack it) as I pull it over and down the arris rail, the lovely white PVC facia might melt.

On the same build where I saw it tacked, this was also the case at the gutter edge, (ie tacked) the underlay and mineral cap were draped into the middle of the gutter, I can see the logic - that up that high winds would blow water dripping off a welted drip back into the building and not let it drip down into the gutter, draped coverings as below would stop that, but being tacked I am worrried its a point of entry for water:

Sponsored Links
The rainwater does not get past a welted drip if done properly.

Tacking the edges is not adequate.

Use a smaller torch when heating the felt for the drip and verge detail and keep it lifted clear of the upvc when heating.

Thanks, yes that is how I think it should be done as per your diagram.
I guess I need to make the fall of the gutter minimal so the drip protrudes into the gutter sufficiently at both ends.

A small torch sounds easier to handle ... why didn't I think of that.

I also read the tacked method is used to avoid the ponding that occurs where the flap for the drip creates a ridge.

Once the scaffolding is down its up there for a long time, and I feel tacking though could let water penetrate.

Sponsored Links
The lip created by the welted drip can be negated by butting then running another layer of 4mm capsheet...then run your final layer. Bit of overkill though as the amount of water is negligible and quickly evaporates.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back