wet insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my loft insulation is wet as the breathable membrane the roofer left uncovered for two days let rain in. Should it be replaced or will it dry out.
marg

Sponsored Links
Advice please Is this material waterproof? Ridge tiles cant be put on as too cold. Could rain come through.

I think the 1/2 hour express advice service is down due to the weather.

The 24 hour service may still be running though

I think the 1/2 hour express advice service is down due to the weather.

The 24 hour service may still be running though

They've not been able to get to the computers as a snow drift has formed on entrance to the room & the gritters haven't been out. They may be even later :p

Sponsored Links
The felt should be replaced if wet, and the membrane is waterproof so why did it get wet in the first place?

generally the breathable membrane is water resistant some better than others.
if the roof is tiled then the ridge not bedded should not cause a problem.

The roofer said it gets wet when it touches something and they put tiles on in rain. Thanks guys for your replies.

The roofer said it gets wet when it touches something .
He may have a point there :confused: If this wonder sheet all singing breathable membrane is like a canvas tent - then if you touch the inside the water will come through where touched - I learned that in the Boy Scouts while under canvas ;) I learned other things that aren`t for this forum there too :oops:

The roofer said it gets wet when it touches something .
He may have a point there :confused: If this wonder sheet all singing breathable membrane is like a canvas tent - then if you touch the inside the water will come through where touched - I learned that in the Boy Scouts while under canvas ;) I learned other things that aren`t for this forum there too :oops:

Nige ! I have a look of concern on my face :p

Membranes are waterproof, but what tends to happen is that driven rain gets between the laps when the membrane is left exposed

If the insulation has just got a bit of water on the top, then its OK. If its sodden, then replace it. Or rather swap it for fresh stuff, then then let the damp stuff dry out, then tuft it out and then lay it back on top

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back