Wet looking bricks below dpc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, myself and my wife are looking to buy a semi detached house literally over the road from where we currently live however I've noticed every time it rains, the bricks and mortar below the dpc on the front of the house become darker than those above (doesn't go further than dpc) It does eventually dry out but was concerned if this was an issue because this doesn't seem to happen to the other houses on the street. There's at least 4 courses of bricks above ground level before you reach the dpc.

I've spotted that an airbrick doesn't seem to be present but in all the other houses there's sometimes one there and sometimes not. This is confusing.

There is a down pipe from the guttering which runs inbetween the two semis into a drain which has some soil around it so we didn't know if this was soaking up the rain water.

Sorry for the essay. We can't supply pics at the moment but any help would be really appreciated!!

Sponsored Links
any bricks below dpc will get wet because they are in contact with the ground, if the bricks above the dpc dont get wet it proves the dpc is working

However the ground may be wet if there is a cracked or leaking drain. This is common in older houses and can be repaired.

I'm seeing a business oportunity here for people who are buying houses to be able to phone someone up who can go out and look at the house and do a report or something like that. I might look into such a concept.

Sponsored Links
I'm seeing a business oportunity here for people who are buying houses to be able to phone someone up who can go out and look at the house and do a report or something like that. I might look into such a concept.

it'll never catch on, not when there's the internet available to answer everyone's questions

However the ground may be wet if there is a cracked or leaking drain. This is common in older houses and can be repaired.

quite possibly or it could have just been raining, or they've been using a hosepipe on the lawn/flowers, or the gutter leaks, or it could be sheltered and takes a while to dry out, or its where the dog likes to pee :D

In fact, that could be a good career change for you, Woody.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back